Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Forkupines - Semantics
Hi All,

Used only free & stock Pro Tools plugins on this mix. Please share your thoughts!

Thank you!

.m4a    Semanticsmx.m4a --  (Download: 8.52 MB)

Hello Matty

*Your left floor tom has an excess of low freq. I would highpass some.
*Balances are pretty good
*Guitars are sounding clean and smooth.. except when that other guitar in the chorus comes in. It gives a harsh feel to it. just a bit.
*would have liked the snare a bit more upfront.
*I like your Eq on the voice.

All in all a pretty solid mix. keep it up!
(29-03-2016, 06:11 AM)Shul Wrote: Hello Matty

*Your left floor tom has an excess of low freq. I would highpass some.
*Balances are pretty good
*Guitars are sounding clean and smooth.. except when that other guitar in the chorus comes in. It gives a harsh feel to it. just a bit.
*would have liked the snare a bit more upfront.
*I like your Eq on the voice.

All in all a pretty solid mix. keep it up!

Hi Shul,

I really appreciate the constructive input. I did notice the harshness in the chorus guitars after listening a little louder. I also feel like I had a lot of trouble trying to get that crack out of the snare that I really like. I did not check the phase though which is my fault. Or maybe I needed a little bit more compression? Any suggestions?

Again, thank you!
(29-03-2016, 05:11 PM)mattypellets Wrote: Hi Shul,

I really appreciate the constructive input. I did notice the harshness in the chorus guitars after listening a little louder. I also feel like I had a lot of trouble trying to get that crack out of the snare that I really like. I did not check the phase though which is my fault. Or maybe I needed a little bit more compression? Any suggestions?

Again, thank you!

I actually like your snare. Just checked my files and indeed, you have to reverse the phase on the snaredown mic. If you didn't then perhaps that's why you feel it's missing some crack. I personally barely use the snare down mic. When your Faders for snare up and down are not at even level, you won't hear it as much. the further apart the levels the less phase problem you notice. I didn't invert the phase on the snare.. but I threw the snaredown in anyways... with very very lil volume. Probably If I mute it, there won't be a difference in my snare sound.

If you are really looking for a snap or crack on your snare, I would suggest you add a sample along with the original snare up recording. It's very hard to get that snap sometimes with the recordings alone.
(30-03-2016, 07:43 AM)Shul Wrote:
(29-03-2016, 05:11 PM)mattypellets Wrote: Hi Shul,

Again, thank you!

I actually like your snare. Just checked my files and indeed, you have to reverse the phase on the snaredown mic. If you didn't then perhaps that's why you feel it's missing some crack. I personally barely use the snare down mic. When your Faders for snare up and down are not at even level, you won't hear it as much. the further apart the levels the less phase problem you notice. I didn't invert the phase on the snare.. but I threw the snaredown in anyways... with very very lil volume. Probably If I mute it, there won't be a difference in my snare sound.

If you are really looking for a snap or crack on your snare, I would suggest you add a sample along with the original snare up recording. It's very hard to get that snap sometimes with the recordings alone.

That's what I figured. I really need to remember to check for phase. Rookie move! haha! Next time I run into this issue I will first turn up the snare and if I can't get the sound I'm looking for with EQ, I will just sample replace it. Thank you for the helpful advice!