Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Zwiepack: 'Air' - Olli H
Interesting challenge to learn something new.

I had big problems in thinking how this is supposed to sound. I would have wanted to move instrument more backwards but I didn't find suitabe method for it - yet.

.mp3    air-2016-03-27-Olli-H.mp3 --  (Download: 7.42 MB)

Hi Olli,
Lovely mix ,love the sound of the bass and space with effects.
This is a good test of different monitors frequency responses ,what I'm hearing on my monitors and could be my room or personal preference to my ears .
The wind instrument maybe 4-5 db less 600-1k and more 1.4k -2 k area to bring out the breath .

well done Olli Big Grin

Please Help Mike Keep This Awesome Educational Site Alive And Become A patron !
https://www.patreon.com/CambridgeMT/posts

Thanks, I'll test that eq thing. That sax is diffucult to make dreamy, it just cuts through too strongly
I really like the distance you have placed between the listener and the bass. I'm starting to hear some good things with your use of reverbs. I also like the attack finger action you have placed on the bass, just wondering if it's a little strong for the softness of the song, not really sure Olli. As for the tone of the sax, when you have worked it out let me know. There seems to be resonances with ever sustained note played. My ears are starting to hurt. lol
You are doing much better than me Olli.

Dave.
I made lot of changes, used different techiques, but when I later compared these two versions, I found that they are quite similar.

Most of the time I missed the third instrument that left a big hole in the sound scape. Time to move on...

.mp3    air-2016-03-28-Olli-H.mp3 --  (Download: 7.42 MB)

(29-03-2016, 10:54 AM)Olli H Wrote: I made lot of changes, used different techiques, but when I later compared these two versions, I found that they are quite similar.

Most of the time I missed the third instrument that left a big hole in the sound scape. Time to move on...

For me Olli, this is more natural sounding. Really like how the bass sounds this time round. I think it's good that came to a similar sound with different techniques, you are focused on the sound you are trying to achieve within limitations of the source material.
The second mix a lot better. Maybe the bass is a bit too loud. Also the saxophone sounds a lot as if you mainly used the spot mics. I think in this piece it is better to use the main stereo pair and then only add as much as necessary in the spots. I ended up adding almost no saxophone but quite a lot of bass and I think that is why the instruments are a lot up front