Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Glass - Olli H
”Ghost Riders in the Sky” was my first association. So, I tried to make a folk rock version out of this song. That’s why I gave a quite big role acoustic guitar and, yes, to that violin. I thought it was a place holder for a real violin that’s going to replace it later. But as place holder it should be as audible as the real one later.

My main reference was Bob Dylan’s Hurricane. Not so much sonically, but rather as guidance to balances and roles between instruments.

EDIT: New version in post 4

.mp3    primakova-2016-03-25-Olli-H.mp3 --  (Download: 7.82 MB)

I really like this Olli, sounding quite polished and genre correct. I agree with the choices made for the guitar, works well. The only gripe I have is with the upper register of the bass guitar (pick noise I guess) it's quite distracting for me when listening through small speakers. Otherwise I find the mix to translate really well through my three sets of monitors. I like the vocal levels also, being that this has a story line, it's important for it to be clear and in front.

Well Done.

Dave

Full disclosure, I'm the artist...

This is a really nice mix, nice clean tones with the emphasis similar to how I did it on my original mix. The only thing I'd say is that the bass is a bit scratchy, most likely my playing technique, I put a de-esser on it myself to clean it up. Also, unfortunately that violin isn't going to get replaced with a real one any time soon simply because I can't play one Blush
Thanks for listening.

I agree totally about the bass. Funny how ears can get "blind" during mixing. I should have noticed that over-midrangy bass. I tried to fix it. Hopefully the bass lines are still audible enough. I also added just a bit more the low end to it.

Also, just a one db more space to vox.

And a bit deeper cut to acoustic guitar around 1 k

About the violin, it's not so much the sound of synth violin that bothered me, but during the intro and solo part the violin could have more active role, ie. some more melody or solo notes. Something that graps the attention adn tells to the listening ear that "your focus should be here now". At least my ears start to seek for the missing solo player.

.mp3    primakova-2016-03-26-Olli-H.mp3 --  (Download: 7.82 MB)

Hello Olli.

*I like the separation you used between the guitar and violin. Only downside to it is my ears felt funny when I was done listening.
*V2 has a minor glitch right at the beginning. I'd get rid of it.
*Like the snare tone you got. would love to hear it a bit more upfront. Sometimes I feel it gets lost in the mix.

Hi Olli.
I like both versions
I think the bass and kick in version 1 sounds much cleaner and well defined just the top end scratchy sound needed adjusting .
Version 2 sounds a touch muddy end lots of deep bottom end.

Well one.

Cheers Big Grin

Please Help Mike Keep This Awesome Educational Site Alive And Become A patron !
https://www.patreon.com/CambridgeMT/posts