Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 2.33 Average
Sleep...etc Coldroom Mix
Hi fellow mix-fiends Smile

I had a little bit of spare time, so I thought I would would have a go at this. I was quite taken with the arrangement of the song and the changes it goes through, so I've tried to highlight the flow of the track.

Thanks to the band and recordist for providing the tracks!

.mp3    Sleep By The Fire_Coldroom Mix.mp3 --  (Download: 7.5 MB)

All 10 FytaKyte Multi-Tracks available for you to mix with purchase of Album here: https://fytakyte.bandcamp.com/releases
Hi fhumble fhingaz,
Absolutely nice work. I enjoyed the song while listening. Really nice tones you recived.
At 0:53 I hear some glitches i think like something went wrong while "printing" the track.
Great work.
(29-03-2016, 02:28 AM)Lethan Wrote: Hi fhumble fhingaz,
Absolutely nice work. I enjoyed the song while listening. Really nice tones you recived.
At 0:53 I hear some glitches i think like something went wrong while "printing" the track.
Great work.

Hey Lethan - thanks so much for the listen and comment! I thought no one was ever going to say anything, good or bad!

The "glitch" is actually the extra drum hits (DrumsSFXnear and far) which were provided with the tracks. I turned them into a little "explosion" that happens at the beginning of the chorus.

Thanks again for listening!
All 10 FytaKyte Multi-Tracks available for you to mix with purchase of Album here: https://fytakyte.bandcamp.com/releases
Hey fhumble fhingaz,
Apologies for not seeing this one earlier. I've made a mental note to keep an eye out for your threads as they appear.

This sounds super, can't fault it at all. To be honest I forgot to try and fault it, just sat back and enjoyed. Fantastic guitar tones and energy, everything is audible and has it's place and role. Something for me to strive for. Wonderful pro mix.

Will have to continue our discussion on Aussie guitarist one day. You mentioned Chisel. I'm a big Chisel fan myself. I saw Ian Moss a few years back on the South Coast and to this day have never heard a guitar tone like it. Had some stereo amp setup that was out of this world. "One long Day" still knocks me off my feet.

Dave.
(29-03-2016, 10:58 AM)Dangerous Wrote: Hey fhumble fhingaz,
Apologies for not seeing this one earlier. I've made a mental note to keep an eye out for your threads as they appear.

Hey, no worries mate - thanks for popping in for a listen! Even though I've been on this forum since it's inception, I haven't actually posted a tonne of mixes here, as I tend to work a lot on my own stuff and a few regular clients that I have.

Occasionally, when I have some time to spare and I have a hankering to do a mix, I grab a multitrack from here that takes my fancy. Apart from the "Upper Hand" and "Sleep..." mixes I've also done Jokers Jacks & Kings' "Sea of Leaves", Dunning Kruger's "Japan Song", John McKay's "Daisy Daisy", Louis Cressy's "Good Time" and The Brew's "What I Want". BKS' "Bulldozer" and "Too Much" are actually songs written, performed, recorded (& originally) mixed by me - so the preview mixes are mine.

Oh, & my mixes of "Blood To Bone" (from The Great Blood To Bone Mixoff") and "Pennies" are also the preview mixes of those songs, as I mixed all the songs except "Facade" on Young Griffo's first EP (mixes only - I didn't record any of them, btw) They have been an ongoing mix client of mine, and we've done a few more tracks since then too. (currently in hiatus, sadly).

Quote:This sounds super, can't fault it at all. To be honest I forgot to try and fault it, just sat back and enjoyed. Fantastic guitar tones and energy, everything is audible and has it's place and role. Something for me to strive for. Wonderful pro mix.

Thanks for the kind words - glad you liked it! That is the most gratifying thing to hear, as I know exactly what you mean... When I start feeling the excitement and essence of a song, I just get caught up in the moment, and my analytical side recedes.... It's amazing how forgiving you can be of technical "faults" when that side of the brain takes over. That's ultimately what I aim for with each mix I do. I'm not always successful, but I keep trying!

Quote:Will have to continue our discussion on Aussie guitarist one day. You mentioned Chisel. I'm a big Chisel fan myself. I saw Ian Moss a few years back on the South Coast and to this day have never heard a guitar tone like it. Had some stereo amp setup that was out of this world. "One long Day" still knocks me off my feet.

Dave.

Awesome! I remember a time (not too many years ago) when it was very uncool to admit you liked Chisel... So it's great to hear from like-minded fans. I LOVE "One Long Day". I remember being quite obsessed with it when I first heard it. I love the album version, but the live version off "Swingshift" takes it too a completely different place!

One performance that really sums up the essence of Mossy's playing is "The Barking Spiders" version of "Georgia". The tasteful pacing and sheer explosive energy of this solo just blows me away each time I hear it. What's even better is, just recently I came across this recently unearthed footage of Mossy playing it live on the night:

(It takes a while before the video footage cuts in (around 1:50)

Thanks for listening & commenting, Dave - much appreciated!
Hi,
Enjoyed listening your mix ,sounds great.
Might Give this great song another go ,as posted my version at the beginning but removed as wasn't quite ready Blush.
Just wondering in the intro did you add keyboards or it that clever use of guitar effects ?
well done .

P.s Ian Moss is a legend ,i was lucky to see chisel live at the sydney Entertainment centre.

Cheers Big Grin

Please Help Mike Keep This Awesome Educational Site Alive And Become A patron !
https://www.patreon.com/CambridgeMT/posts

Don't suppose it was late 1983 when you saw them Don?

Thanks for sharing this fHumbles, I've never seen this footage. Gunna dust off "barking Spiders" tonight and give it a spin. Don't reckon I've listened to this in 15 or so years. Forgot how great it sounds.

Dave.
(30-03-2016, 09:38 AM)Dangerous Wrote: Don't suppose it was late 1983 when you saw them Don?

Thanks for sharing this fHumbles, I've never seen this footage. Gunna dust off "barking Spiders" tonight and give it a spin. Don't reckon I've listened to this in 15 or so years. Forgot how great it sounds.

Dave.
yes it was about then Dave and also again in the late 90's.
Cheers.

Please Help Mike Keep This Awesome Educational Site Alive And Become A patron !
https://www.patreon.com/CambridgeMT/posts

(30-03-2016, 07:57 AM)thedon Wrote: Hi,
Enjoyed listening your mix ,sounds great.
Might Give this great song another go ,as posted my version at the beginning but removed as wasn't quite ready Blush.
Just wondering in the intro did you add keyboards or it that clever use of guitar effects ?
well done .

Cheers Big Grin

Cheers Don! Seems like between you and me and Dave, we have a bit of an Aussie contingent going here...

Thanks for taking a listen to the mix and commenting...

I can confirm that no keyboards were harmed in the making of this mix Smile ...
What I did was suppose what you would call a bit of "sound design". I took the intro guitar part, reversed it, time-stretched it, then ran it through a crazy convoluted preset in Guitar Rig 4. I thought that section of the song was just begging for a bit of something "textural" to create a bit of anticipation.

I do love my GR4 - I use it a LOT, often for stuff that doesn't involve guitars - I've been threatening myself to do a whole mix using it as the only processing chain allowed... that would be interesting...Huh

Looking forward to hearing your mix!

Quote:P.s Ian Moss is a legend ,i was lucky to see chisel live at the sydney Entertainment centre.

Agreed! I saw Chisel 18th December last year - the final show @ The Ent Centre before they tore it down.

(30-03-2016, 09:38 AM)Dangerous Wrote: Don't suppose it was late 1983 when you saw them Don?

Dave.

No worries Dave - it was a new one on me too! Look out for Mossy doing some fierce shredding on "Tomorrow" from Barking Spiders.