Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
TheGlass (New)
Thoughts?
Rate?

Thanks for listening Smile

.mp3    TheGlass-Primakova.mp3 --  (Download: 7.86 MB)

The bass is too muddy and masking the kick big time
Too much room also for me .
Too much room can make mixes sound messy
if your not careful
(21-03-2016, 06:10 PM)takka360 Wrote: The bass is too muddy and masking the kick big time
Too much room also for me .
Too much room can make mixes sound messy
if your not careful

Thanks for the feedback Takka
I agree.

Here is V2 with less low end rumble. SideChain on bass to duck for kick. Some what less verb on some instruments and back Vocals especially. I went subtle because I do like the room for this particular song.

.mp3    TheGlassV2.mp3 --  (Download: 7.86 MB)

Lot better
I think the second version is more focused. So I comment it.

Overall sound is pretty coherent to my ears.

Vox sound is good. It sits nicely on top of the band.

Your mix is quite drum driven. Sound as such is good, but for this genre, is it bit too strong drums now?

I miss the top-end availble in acoustic guitar. But the mix is pretty coherent the way it is, maybe brighter acoustic guitar would spoil the idea you had in your mind.

Violin could come up a bit in intro and breaks. Now that it’s so down, I find myself concentrating too much to it.

(29-03-2016, 11:14 AM)Olli H Wrote: I think the second version is more focused. So I comment it.

Overall sound is pretty coherent to my ears.

Vox sound is good. It sits nicely on top of the band.

Your mix is quite drum driven. Sound as such is good, but for this genre, is it bit too strong drums now?

I miss the top-end availble in acoustic guitar. But the mix is pretty coherent the way it is, maybe brighter acoustic guitar would spoil the idea you had in your mind.

Violin could come up a bit in intro and breaks. Now that it’s so down, I find myself concentrating too much to it.

Thanks for the feedback Olli.
Valid observations. Here is Version 3 with couple db less drums and a bit more violin. Different Eq on the acoustic guitars as well. Subtle changes but Hope this sounds better in the overall feel.

.mp3    TheGlassV3.mp3 --  (Download: 7.86 MB)

(30-03-2016, 03:50 AM)Shul Wrote: Thanks for the feedback Olli.
Valid observations. Here is Version 3 with couple db less drums and a bit more violin. Different Eq on the acoustic guitars as well. Subtle changes but Hope this sounds better in the overall feel.

Disclaimer, I'm the artist....

I really like this mix, the snare has a real nice crack to it and the kick is not too in your face which I like - I deliberately chose a "flabby" kick over a more rock style kick as it seems to fit the song better (this is played on an electronic drum kit with Logic Pro X drum designer taking the strain)

There's some scratchiness on the bass (my technique is pretty terrible regarding fret noise) which I personally solved with a de-esser set at 2000Hz - I've noticed this in all the mixes so far.

Overall a really nice balance
(30-03-2016, 09:49 AM)Cowboy Bob Wrote:
(30-03-2016, 03:50 AM)Shul Wrote: Thanks for the feedback Olli.

Disclaimer, I'm the artist....

I really like this mix, the snare has a real nice crack to it and the kick is not too in your face which I like - I deliberately chose a "flabby" kick over a more rock style kick as it seems to fit the song better (this is played on an electronic drum kit with Logic Pro X drum designer taking the strain)

There's some scratchiness on the bass (my technique is pretty terrible regarding fret noise) which I personally solved with a de-esser set at 2000Hz - I've noticed this in all the mixes so far.

Overall a really nice balance

Hey Cowboy thanks for the feedback!

It's always good to get feedback from the artist.

I didn't know what to do about the fret scratchiness on the bass.. but that DeEsser advice will now go to my library of tricks!!! Thank you Big Grin

I'm still on Logic 9 but will soon buy the upgreade to X... however I'm checking Studio One 3 And it seems lovely.. gotta make up my mind before I buy my next daw.