Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Benjamin John: 'Better Way' C&C Welcome!
Hey guys,

I mixed this a few weeks ago and was just waiting for the forum to pop up. I'm trying to mix one song a week, and this was the week one. This is a great song; hopefully I served it well.

Comments and criticisms of any type are welcome.

EDIT: Mix updated -- check v2

.mp3    Better Way2 - Benjamin John.mp3 --  (Download: 5.04 MB)

.mp3    Better Way - Benjamin John.mp3 --  (Download: 4.99 MB)

Hey Phil,

I like the intro. This one is as hot as hell and is pumping like Arnold Schwarzenegger at the gym. You may want to back off the master bus comp and limiting somewhat and let the song breath a bit. I think the mix otherwise sounds balanced enough. There is a small boxiness feel to the track which may be a reverb choice, Not sure? Subjective comment only. Try a #2 version with some dynamics restored.

DaveWink
LOL @ Arnold at the gym. Smile

Thanks for the reply, Dave! I don't know where the boxiness would be coming from, but the mix is really dry. I've gone through another pass of stems and double checking for boxiness, and made some small adjustments but nothing more than a dB here or there.

Posting up a new "colder" mix. Smile
I'm liking #2, sounding much more livelier. I'm listing in my studio this morning and I think the boxiness may be from some stereo widening, especially with the vocal. There is a lot of vox in the side channels. The mix seems to clean up a bit when it's dropped back to mono. I think thats what I'm hearing. Good Work.Big Grin
Ahhh. Ya, that makes perfect sense. I was playing around with SideWidener (https://joeysturgistones.com/products/si...1419977473) and just ticked through the 3 presets for what sounded decent on the vocal. I definitely should have checked the added information and added some M/S EQ as necessary. That's almost certainly that's what you've picked up on. Good ear. Big Grin