Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Four Graham - West 3rd Studios Mix
Here is my mix of "Four Graham". This genre is definitely my weakest area in mixing, and I had a really rough time with this one.

Let me know what you think!

.mp3    Four Graham.mp3 --  (Download: 6.46 MB)

I like the overall drive of your mix.

Balances feel fine to me.

I like the vox, just perfect take of the given material.

Snare sound bothers me a bit. Somehow it don’t blend to other band but feels separate from the groove.

Maybe a bit more open top could be fine. Now the overall sound is bit dull. It could be just some air to cymbals...
(15-03-2016, 03:47 PM)Olli H Wrote: I like the overall drive of your mix.

Balances feel fine to me.

I like the vox, just perfect take of the given material.

Snare sound bothers me a bit. Somehow it don’t blend to other band but feels separate from the groove.

Maybe a bit more open top could be fine. Now the overall sound is bit dull. It could be just some air to cymbals...

Thanks for the feedback! I completely agree. I had a lot of trouble with the snare, and I'm not really sure what to do for it. It sounds dry and dull to me, and as you said it seems to not fit with the rest of the mix. I'll see what I can do with it and try to upload a second version. I also might adjust the kick. After re-listening it sounds a bit floppy to me. What do you think?
One idea to test: try to find another snare sample with natural space with it. With compressor take the snap out of it and use it as a natural short snare reverb. So no added reverb plugin. And use your current snare sample for snap and beat. Blend them together. If you're lucky end result is dry snare that naturally blends with other kit.

And the same with the kick.