Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Benjamin John: 'Better Way'
A Sunday morning mix.
I was initially put off by the track count with this one. I tend to shy from anything over 30 or so. It stresses me out! But once managed into buses there's not too much going on. A fun tune, with plenty of life from start to finish maybe just a bit short. Tracks seem clean and sounding nice. I found myself assembling this one with quite a low plugin count with most time spent on automation. Proofed and approved by my better half.
Reference: Vance Joy.

DaveSmile

.mp3    BenjaminJohn_BetterWay_Dangerous.mp3 --  (Download: 5.39 MB)

.mp3    BenjaminJohn_BetterWay_Dangerous#2.mp3 --  (Download: 5.39 MB)

Great mix, sounds incredible! Maybe the last chorus goes a little crazy and the vocals are harder to hear. However, as a whole is amazing. Nice!
Good vox sound. Overall balance, I like it. Drums feel fine.

Small solo around 0:36 feels a bit too compressed

Too much modulation with some electric guitars, for example around 0:56. Maybe it’s a question of preference, but with this kind of acoustical root music genre those effects are not so audible typically.

Overall comment, very well done!
At first I though: "How's there over 30 tracks?". Then I remembered that I've deleted duplicates and ended up with just 31 instead of 46. Idk why they would put them there.

The mix is too washy for my taste. Too much reverb.
(14-03-2016, 08:38 AM)fran Wrote: Great mix, sounds incredible! Maybe the last chorus goes a little crazy and the vocals are harder to hear. However, as a whole is amazing. Nice!

Thanks fran, I was pretty happy with the vox levels but in saying that, I haven't referenced this one to much outside the studio, so you could could be right. Time will tell.

Cheers.

(14-03-2016, 10:16 AM)Olli H Wrote: Good vox sound. Overall balance, I like it. Drums feel fine.

Small solo around 0:36 feels a bit too compressed

Too much modulation with some electric guitars, for example around 0:56. Maybe it’s a question of preference, but with this kind of acoustical root music genre those effects are not so audible typically.

Overall comment, very well done!

Thanks Olli,
Yes, I processed the acoustic guitar with //compression and may have over done it. I might try and dial it back through this passage with some automation.
It may be a subjective thing with the chorus on the electric guitar. My first render was without it but found it helped the guitar sit within the mix nicely and I was happy to leave it there. I feel this is an almost "born again" modern genre that is quite popular at the moment and anything is possible within it.

Valued comments Olli, Thanks again.
(14-03-2016, 11:09 AM)Sono Wrote: At first I though: "How's there over 30 tracks?". Then I remembered that I've deleted duplicates and ended up with just 31 instead of 46. Idk why they would put them there.

The mix is too washy for my taste. Too much reverb.

Yeah, I think I got to 58 with the buses and mults. I get a bit antsy when I can't fit all the tracks on the screen. I tend to get lost quickly.
The only reverb I have pushed is with the vox. This was taken from my reference which I liked very much. It's definitely a stronger verb than what I would normally use. I guess, nothing ventured nothing gained.

Thanks for the comments. Dave.
2nd attempt based on above advise. Adjusted the compressor and added some attack time to the guitalele and made some additional automation moves through out. I've also added a compressor to the master track with is mix. Forgot to add it first time round.
Dave.