Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Coldroom Mix of Upper Hand
I mixed this a while ago on another forum, so when I came across this thread, I thought I would take the opportunities to make a few tweaks to the original mix and post it here.

.mp3    Upper Hand_Coldroom Mix.mp3 --  (Download: 10.16 MB)

All 10 FytaKyte Multi-Tracks available for you to mix with purchase of Album here: https://fytakyte.bandcamp.com/releases
I remember this one fH! A really fine job, but I came to expect nothing less from you! Wink

I don't know what you changed on this version, it would seem that the acoustic guitars are more prominent, are they? (I'm not comparing, just had the impression they were a bit mellower in your previous version). If that's the case, I think I prefer them a little bit smoother. I would bet a little bit of transient designer, or a shorter attack on your compressor perhaps? Perhaps you could actually automate that to make them smoother at first then bring more transients as the mix gets fuller to help them cut through?

I remember the subtle delays on the vocal and the big reverb on the snare, and the great driving bass... still there!

I would guess you've changed the tuning of the lead vocal, I remember it was doing a different melody than what I intended and it was throwing me off a little bit.

All in all, aside perhaps for the acoustics transients (a small nitpick, sorry!) that's a superb job. I love it! Smile
"Music, in performance, is a type of sculpture. The air in the performance is sculpted into something." - Frank Zappa

Some air moved here
Hi Pat, thanks for dropping by and having a listen...

I didn't realize you'd posted the files for the mix comp here until I was browsing around yesterday. I figured "what the hell"... I may as well post my version from the comp here, since it turned out to be a complete fiasco...(I imagine that was a big dissapointment for you too, considering all the time you put into it)...

Anyhoo...No, I didn't touch the acoustics at all - unless something went awry with the saved project file (quite possible) it should be exactly the same musically-speaking. The only thing I changed was to return the vocal to it's original state in a few spots. (Because I remember how much it bugged you!)
All 10 FytaKyte Multi-Tracks available for you to mix with purchase of Album here: https://fytakyte.bandcamp.com/releases
Ah! Indeed I appreciate that you've changed the vocal tuning. It did bug me at the time, and it's feeling better now!
As to the mix comp, oh well, I had fun listening to the entries (some of them at least! Big Grin)

About to the guitars, as I said, I didn't A/B with your previous version so no doubt it is identical, it's just an impression, mostly based on my memory of it, so not to be trusted.
Still that's about the only thing I would change in this version now, and possibly because I've listened to some other submissions where they were a bit smoother in the intro and I liked that.
"Music, in performance, is a type of sculpture. The air in the performance is sculpted into something." - Frank Zappa

Some air moved here
Great sounding mix. Exploiting the dynamics nicely. I also like the arrangement of the guitars in the intro.

Dave.

Thanks Dave - Glad you liked it!