Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Better Way - Olli H
There was so much big changes in the arrangement so it was difficult to make a coherent sound. In the end my focus with this mix was to keep the groove going on, and to make it sound as a live perforance.

I tried to find suitable reference from 50's but I didn't find. In the end I used some CCR, Wille Nelson, Robbie Williams and whatever just to refresh my ears every now and then, but not as a sound to go after.

.mp3    BetterWay-2016-03-08-olli-h.mp3 --  (Download: 4.8 MB)

Hello olli

All in all pretty good sounding mix.
*The only thing I don't agree with is having the voice too upfront. At points it Feels like an instrumental track that got the voice added after.
This is a preference thing but thought I should let you know.

Currently listening on headphones.
Hi Olli

I don't know if you intentionally went for this sound but the mix really lacks bass.
And also the thing that everybody messes up, chorus - isn't delivering (I also missed that first time I mixed)
Thanks for good suggestions. I made the overall sound a bit darker.
But I didn't touch the chorus

.mp3    BetterWay-2016-03-11-olli-h.mp3 --  (Download: 4.8 MB)

Hey Olli, you've achieved some nice dynamics and depth with your mix, good job. There's a bit of harshness coming from the cymbals/drum buss (sounds like it's around the 3khz region). Some of the electric guitar parts are poking out quite a bit around the 7khz region too. Good usage of light compression, the mix benefits from this and it sounds nice and open.
Thanks, I'll check those issues...
Hey Olli, nice work. I do agree with mick about the cymbals and maybe the guitar too. I like how bold the gits are, but they're a touch on the "pointy" side of things. I do love the image that you've created.

Just those small issues!

Well done!

Draper

Hi Olli,
Nice solid sounding mix ,I like the effects and space.Probably personal taste thing ,i like the upfront shaker and tambourine but could be poking out a just touch in context of the mix ,but in saying that i think i went too soft after listening to your mix Big Grin

Well Done.

Please Help Mike Keep This Awesome Educational Site Alive And Become A patron !
https://www.patreon.com/CambridgeMT/posts

Thanks fellows, maybe I have to open this project again... Smile
I like the vocals here, but the 's' sound a little bit artificial. I would change the deesser settings to achieve a more natural sound. The second mix sounds better than the first one Smile
mixing since April 2013