Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
BETTER WAY
Hey Shul,
Listening to version 2 ,sounds like a really good, I think just a touch more top end presence on the vocals.

Well done !

Please Help Mike Keep This Awesome Educational Site Alive And Become A patron !
https://www.patreon.com/CambridgeMT/posts

V2's lead vocals are spot on. Personally I'd like to hear the guitar solis hotter and I'm not sure I'm sold on the doubling and panning of the first guitar. There are a lot of parts inherent in the song and does not call for more stereo separation of a single part. That being said, the sounds you enumerated are great. I think I am also hearing some minor distortion at the very end with the vocal chorus. This is something I had to be careful with in my mix and have heard in many of the mixes of this fine song. I don't know if I would characterize this as a "happy song" as he is basically apologizing for being a jerk for something he said yesterday.
PreSonus Studio One DAW
[email protected]
(10-04-2016, 10:21 PM)jayb6120 Wrote: Great mix on V2! Really clean and clear.

That being said, bring that guitar solo up a bit. It gets lost. And on the very high end of the vocal it gets a little harsh in spots. If you get that under control you could probably bring the vocal up some more. Just some little things.

Really great mix though. Feels big and open.

Hey thanks man..

i didn't even see these comments. Will check those things you mentioned.
(12-04-2016, 07:48 AM)thedon Wrote: Hey Shul,
Listening to version 2 ,sounds like a really good, I think just a touch more top end presence on the vocals.

Well done !

Hey thanks Don

will check your suggestions along with everyone elses.
(29-05-2016, 01:09 AM)Mixinthecloud Wrote: V2's lead vocals are spot on. Personally I'd like to hear the guitar solis hotter and I'm not sure I'm sold on the doubling and panning of the first guitar. There are a lot of parts inherent in the song and does not call for more stereo separation of a single part. That being said, the sounds you enumerated are great. I think I am also hearing some minor distortion at the very end with the vocal chorus. This is something I had to be careful with in my mix and have heard in many of the mixes of this fine song. I don't know if I would characterize this as a "happy song" as he is basically apologizing for being a jerk for something he said yesterday.

Thanks for the feedback man

Reason for the doubling was to have a fuller sound in the "middle"
panning the tracks left and right didn't really feel right to me. It felt hollow so I went for a fuller sound instead. but will check everything you said and see how I can improve it. I have not opened this file since I posted the mix.

as for the "happy" song... you are right the lyrics aren't really happy.. but the whole melody and instrumentation are lol sorry maybe I looked differently and that affected the way this was mixed.
(29-05-2016, 04:40 AM)Shul Wrote: Thanks for the feedback man

Reason for the doubling was to have a fuller sound in the "middle"
panning the tracks left and right didn't really feel right to me. It felt hollow so I went for a fuller sound instead. but will check everything you said and see how I can improve it. I have not opened this file since I posted the mix.

as for the "happy" song... you are right the lyrics aren't really happy.. but the whole melody and instrumentation are lol sorry maybe I looked differently and that affected the way this was mixed.

I think we can agree it is an upbeat and fun song.
Check out my mix and let me know what you think of the panning I used in it.
PreSonus Studio One DAW
[email protected]

The mix has a frequency conflicts , try to free more than a place in the heart for singing and smoothly put into the mix . Who vocals sticks . Nope electric guitars , I can not hear them at all , and yet they perform half the mix.
Now I hear only the mix of acoustic guitars , vocals and kick ...
Do not be afraid to add reverb- it should emphasize the mix , and lie in it.
Regulate tools not only volume controls , but the reverb too. At least use the effects of distortion , chorus and all possible effects- beautiful vocals will not be .
(30-05-2016, 10:26 AM)JunglestateUnion Wrote: The mix has a frequency conflicts , try to free more than a place in the heart for singing and smoothly put into the mix . Who vocals sticks . Nope electric guitars , I can not hear them at all , and yet they perform half the mix.
Now I hear only the mix of acoustic guitars , vocals and kick ...
Do not be afraid to add reverb- it should emphasize the mix , and lie in it.
Regulate tools not only volume controls , but the reverb too. At least use the effects of distortion , chorus and all possible effects- beautiful vocals will not be .

Hello jungle state union

I don't really understand your comment that well. Can you try and explain again?

What I got was electric guitars missing. I did delete the guitars that were more like background fills. I didn't really find a use for them.

Acoustic guitar is very present because I found them to be the most busy track.. Along with the ukulele. I used those as the song driver tracks and based my mix off of them.

The reverb. I don't like to use a lot of reverb in these kind of songs because they tend to make the mix foggy or sometimes too over processed. Specifically this type of song should be very elegant. So the more subtle effects I do the better. The less instruments i have, the more careful i am with the reverb.That's why you don't hear a lot of reverb.

Thanks for the comments though! Smile
@Shul,

V2 sounds great to my ears.

I agree with your philosophy. I too reduced guitars that, in my mind, didn’t add that much to the mix—especially the quiet aquatic sounding lead electric guitar. I just kept it very, very low in my mix… and besides the player played it quietly. And I like your choice to keep the acoustic high—the acoustic guitar and the ukulele are the meat.

I appreciate after the chorus in the quiet section, the fill/kick hit/ukelule strum progression that lasts for about a 1.5 seconds, and stands out very well. I need to look for those awesome combinations in my own mix and retain them.

-----

My 2 suggestions would be to reduce the reverb. Perhaps the reverb is too midrange? But I only noticed that in the intro; by the first chorus, I forget and get enjoy the song. And to your credit, the reverb never made the mix ‘foggy’.

And the piano perhaps sounds a little too clear all three times. Perhaps reduce?

Great job dude!
V2: Liking it. I think the tone of the mix fits the arrangement/performance well...like maybe the singer is being super sweet to try and atone? Something?

Feel like a some of the transients on the vocal are hitting a little hard...like a hard c in "coulda".
(relistened for specific)
- t in "to me" around 0:11
g gotta 0:18
- t in "touch" 0:44
t "to say" :58ish
see 1:36
some of the snaps

Cleaning those up in the waveform editor might give the vocal a little more polish and buy you some room to push it that last little bit. Doesnt need a lot, just some here and theres that need less crackle and more ice cream soda float. . Overall some nice work, enjoyed listening. Vocal adjustment from v1 to v2 spot on.