Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 3.75 Average
Justin Myles - Shortened arrangement (mix now posted)
Update 12-03-16:
mix is up...posted below herewith:
http://www.discussion.cambridge-mt.com/s...9#pid44129
------------------------------------------
update 10-03-16:
Please note: the mp3 below ISN'T MIXED, but is simply a rough cut down version in readiness for mixing. It appears some participants of my thread didn't get to the last sentence in green which states this. i should have said it at the beginning of the post, not the end....not everyone has the stamina to read all this waffle and i can't say i blame them! lol

i do apologise for not making this clearer. sorry for any inconvenience this may have caused.

i have finished mixing it....will post it up shortly when i remember to pull it off the DAW. looking forward to hearing other folks mix visions and interpretations of this song, will give some feedback shortly.
---------------------------------------------------

The one and only time I listened to this song all the way through it's full 7 minutes and 30 seconds was during the first preview. I honestly struggled with this. I think one aspect was the emotional duration and intensity...it kind of left me feeling a little exhausted from the journey's length.

However, I felt quite strongly that the song could benefit from a revision of it's musical dynamic (not to be confused with compression dynamic, that's different). a shortened delivery would make it more compact, this would also benefit it's emotional element at least from my perspective. 7 and a half minutes just felt over-done and drawn out, but a shorter version could focus more beneficially on the musical dynamics so there's more ebb and flow in the arrangement, more movement, more vibe and transition but in a more agreeable time-space, thus helping to retain the listener's interest and involvement.

My impartiality lead me to a 3 minute 30 seconds target. I felt that all the singer's intentions could be done admirably in this time. The supporting instruments, namely the acoustic guitar and electric guitar (which, incidentally, were basically playing the same keys!) just about had enough musical diversification and contrast in the revised arrangement, to keep me engaged with the song from a listener's perspective.

However, while cutting out the superfluous is one thing, there are two major problems I experienced in the multitrack. The first is lack of dynamics at the micro level – the material has arrived over-compressed. Those who dismiss this would be wise to check the RMS first, if their ears are not yet sensitive enough to tell the difference blindfolded. I put the basic, revised mix, that is without any processing and with all faders at Udent, through the meters and got approximately -16LUFS Integrated Loudness. This leaves nowhere to go for the engineer in the mix or in the Master without having a detrimental impact on dynamics.

Furthermore, the tracking contains printed automation. Despite what it says in the Multitrack Download Library, many of the materials contain additional processing subsequent to being recorded and made available to us. Inexperienced mixers need to be aware of the implications of this in their mixes, because an instrument that is low one minute, then increases in loudness from automation, will hit our processors HARD ALL THE WAY THROUGH THE SIGNAL CHAIN, from inserts, group busses and eventually the stereo buss. So, instead of the material being louder from automation, it will lose dynamic when that increase in amplitude hits your processors. The problem perhaps, is that many people don't know how to tell the difference between compressed material and dynamic otherwise there'd me more discussion in the forum generally. If we don't know what we are dealing with, how are we going to be able to mix it in the most appropriate and applicable way?

I think those who mix this without reference to the automation and compression, have missed an important element of the mixing process. For one thing, a higher RMS in a pre-compressed track will cause a compressor to react more vigorously than it otherwise would and clamp down even harder on what meagre dynamics already remained. Is this mixing? If mixes were loudness matched here in the forum, as in the iTunes SoundCheck situation, I think people's attitudes would be forced to change for the better because they'd understand the direct negative impact on audio quality with reduced dynamics. They'd also be hearing and comparing every mix they listened to on the same loudness level, which removes subjectivity and allows better comparisons between other mixes. Loudness affects people's judgement....and so long as a mix is loud and compressed, it will impress the noobs and many musicians who are none the wiser. In my opinion, this problem seriously hampers the educational value of the forum...it's so easy to find hyper compressed, clipping, distorted mixes receiving praise and credibility....this simply compounds the problem and encourages more of the same.

This shortened version would be my suggested template for a solution to the issues I personally experienced from the original 7minutes, 30 second presentation. It's not mixed yet, but is ready for the process.

My reference in particular was:

"Sweet Anticipation, Music and the psychology of expectation" by David Huron....

and especially....

Ch. 5, "The music producers handbook", by Bobby Owsinski

.mp3    JustinMyles=RadioEdit_METALLURGIST_NoMix.mp3 --  (Download: 8.64 MB)

Beware...........Cognitive Dissonance!
Nice Chop! I think this will work quite well. I haven't explored these multi's yet but they are sure sounding full in their raw state. Time to work your mastery and magic.
Thanks for the thesis, enjoyable read.

Dave.
Your dissertation leads me to believe you would make an excellent studio maintenance technician. As a mixer, not so much.
PreSonus Studio One DAW
[email protected]
Ummm.... that was interesting. I have to be honest here, the mix you just posted doesn't sound very good at all, it sounds like a conglomeration of sounds.

The kick seems to be stereo now and out of phase with the rest of the kit, almost like stereo widener was put on it and was set to maximum wideness. The guitars are dominating everything and killing the most important element, the vocals. The addition of the background vocals in the former instrumental section and the final chorus are really far sound of time and make no logical sense and actually take way from the track as a whole. Overall the mix just sounds like organized chaos and doesn't fit the style of song that is present.

If I were mixing this I would: 1. lose the stereo widener on the kick or whatever you did to the kick to make it sound the way it does.
2. Bring the guitars down in the mix and pan the acoustic guitars hard left and right an the electrics
70% left and right so that they are better spaced in the mix.
3. Ditch the background vocals in the instrumental and the final chorus or find a place where they work
and are in time

4. Apply some eq and mild compression to help it fin better with the mix. A parametric cut at 400-800 Hz
and a high pass filter at 100 Hz just to get rid of some muddiness and general low end rumble.
Compression wise an emulation of some form of Opto compressor like an LA2a or a Vari Mu
compressor like a Fairchild or the Klanghelm MJUC or MJUCJR would really smooth out the vocals
nicely and add some character to them.

When I read the description of your mix I really though that your mix was going to sound top notch. It really doesn't sound very good at all, just a conglomeration of sounds. Compression and your complete and utter disdain for it are the least of your worries here, the mix may not be over compressed however it still sounds bad because of the rearrangement of the song, the weird kick phasing and vocals that are overshadowed by the guitar. The only things I really like about the mix are the toms, bass and snare they sound good and aren't intrusive to the rest of the mix.

It isn't the the source that makes this mix sound terrible here, this is a PEBCAK error.
Mixing is way more art and soul than science. We don’t really know what we’re doing. We do it because we love music! It’s the love of music first. Eddie Kramer

Gear list: Focusrite Scarlett 18i20, Mbox Mini w/Pro Tools Express, Reaper, Various plugins, AKG K240 MKii, Audio Technica ATH M50x, Yorkville YSM 6
(07-03-2016, 02:22 PM)Mixinthecloud Wrote: Your dissertation leads me to believe you would make an excellent studio maintenance technician. As a mixer, not so much.

i can tell you haven't read the references Wink

you did realise that this post is NOT MIXED, but is simply a quick hack in readiness for mixing a shorter arrangement? i did say so in the last sentence, in green.

but thanks for dropping by Big Grin
(07-03-2016, 11:58 AM)Dangerous Wrote: Nice Chop! I think this will work quite well. I haven't explored these multi's yet but they are sure sounding full in their raw state. Time to work your mastery and magic.
Thanks for the thesis, enjoyable read.

I don't know about mastery...but the mix has so far got a bit of mystery....and instead of magic, there's tonnes of voodoo! Fixing the automation wasn't fun though...but the rest of it has been so far Big Grin

Thanks for casting an ear on it....especially in it's fully naked, premixed glory; AND in mono-stereo!

laters,,

(07-03-2016, 04:04 PM)dcp10200 Wrote: Ummm.... that was interesting. I have to be honest here, the mix you just posted doesn't sound very good at all, it sounds like a conglomeration of sounds.

Phew, that's a relief!

as i said in the final paragraph before the red bit...
"It's not mixed yet, but is ready for the process."

Look, I'm really sorry you missed the fact that this was only a sketch and that you went to so much trouble to offer some tips and stuff. You put in a really great effort and I thank you for that.

One of the reasons I put this up was because there might be some out there who hadn't perhaps thought about doing a more condensed and succinct mix, a kind of "radio edit", because there's some great opportunity in this multi to take it in several directions and I wouldn't object to anyone "borrowing" the idea.

Sorry you had to endure the mono-stereo...but the finished mix should be a lot more entertaining; at least it will be in stereo Big Grin

Not sure where you think I have a disdain for compression though, because that's not the case. The trouble is, compression tends to get over-used and abused with deleterious effects on the music so there's a lot of opportunities to discuss it. It's actually all too easy to find mixes in the forum which have been pushed too far the wrong way....my mix of Amber Sky is a good example of cranking things beyond the point of ridiculousness, for example Angel

Anyway, this multi wasn't as bad as I thought; the acoustic guitar is a little lifeless for a 24bit and the snare's clipped for example, but there is one area in particular which was a train smash which I'll bring up when I post the mix. I think you will see what I mean when you hear it.....it's only in one part of the song where it's been cranked, but it can't be hidden, more's the pity.

I'll drop in and have a listen to your mix later and see how you got on.

laters dude,,
(08-03-2016, 02:46 AM)The_Metallurgist Wrote:
(07-03-2016, 04:04 PM)dcp10200 Wrote: Ummm.... that was interesting. I have to be honest here, the mix you just posted doesn't sound very good at all, it sounds like a conglomeration of sounds.

Phew, that's a relief!

as i said in the final paragraph before the red bit...
"It's not mixed yet, but is ready for the process."

Look, I'm really sorry you missed the fact that this was only a sketch and that you went to so much trouble to offer some tips and stuff. You put in a really great effort and I thank you for that.

One of the reasons I put this up was because there might be some out there who hadn't perhaps thought about doing a more condensed and succinct mix, a kind of "radio edit", because there's some great opportunity in this multi to take it in several directions and I wouldn't object to anyone "borrowing" the idea.

Sorry you had to endure the mono-stereo...but the finished mix should be a lot more entertaining; at least it will be in stereo Big Grin

Not sure where you think I have a disdain for compression though, because that's not the case. The trouble is, compression tends to get over-used and abused with deleterious effects on the music so there's a lot of opportunities to discuss it. It's actually all too easy to find mixes in the forum which have been pushed too far the wrong way....my mix of Amber Sky is a good example of cranking things beyond the point of ridiculousness, for example Angel

Anyway, this multi wasn't as bad as I thought; the acoustic guitar is a little lifeless for a 24bit and the snare's clipped for example, but there is one area in particular which was a train smash which I'll bring up when I post the mix. I think you will see what I mean when you hear it.....it's only in one part of the song where it's been cranked, but it can't be hidden, more's the pity.

I'll drop in and have a listen to your mix later and see how you got on.

laters dude,,
You ripped Till a new one about a master that sounded good, sure it was hot and compressed sounding, it still had dynamics and didn't sound dull, at least to my ears. Still waiting for your masterful mix of Sleep by the Fire.
Mixing is way more art and soul than science. We don’t really know what we’re doing. We do it because we love music! It’s the love of music first. Eddie Kramer

Gear list: Focusrite Scarlett 18i20, Mbox Mini w/Pro Tools Express, Reaper, Various plugins, AKG K240 MKii, Audio Technica ATH M50x, Yorkville YSM 6
Actually If you guys have noticed even the reference track from Justin Myles him searching for loudness robbed the bass the hell out of it. If you put the music in a normal listening stage, it sounds empty. when you put the volume up everything looks to popup. In fact as I always do I listen in a very lower volume to understand the music and as I did I said to myself, Oh boy an artist plying R&B but looking for Hip hop.

Justin Myles's bass has Character and a give and take with his Electric Guitar on the raw material that we happen to be lucky enough to have it. But I don't even know how he didn't notice in the process of the mastering stage all those thing has been lost. Just because of searching for loudness. And in my POV that will mislead so many engineers in the process of mixing. Is he looking for a loud mix or a character colorful or bringing the feeling of the music out? So confusing right? Making Mix louder is not that much of a big deal the less bottom end the bigger the headroom it will be and it is very sad to see the Acc guitar and the Bass suffer to that. For Justin Myles bringing a loud mix as reference makes it hard to know what he needs.

@The_Metallurgist

Even though what you have written and the mix you have provided is not compatible, It doesn't make it the end of the world. Sometimes what we think and what we do might not be similar but what we felt inside about it is more important cause I believe yo will be a great engineer but it might not be on this mix or the next. And my advice is Keep on mixing and bring your best. Don't take comments personally even though they tend to be personal. Believe in yourself and I believe in you, You will be great mixer. Just keep on mixing.

Stop collecting plugins and hardware. First understand the tool you got and then look for extension when you reach your limit.
Well put Bereket,well put.