Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Angels In Amplifiers - I'm Alright !!!
Hello! Big Grin

I have a feeling this is my best mix so far... fingers crossed!

As usual any feedback is greatly appreciated! Big Grin

Cheers!

.mp3    I\'m Alright (Master).mp3 --  (Download: 6.86 MB)

Man this mix is just too damn dark. I doesn't even stand near commercial mixes in terms of brightess. The OH have no shine whatsoever, whereas the vocals are too bright and have a LOT of sibilance. That could be easily fixed by eq'ing BEFORE compressing. I can also see that you may have a monitoring problem since you have some SERIOUS amount of low end going on, that is not gonna translate well on other systems and is gonna take a lot of your headroom. Therefore, you're not gonna be able to achieve a louder master, cause the limiter is gonna react like crazy to the bottom end, and distort really quickly. I recommend you start mixing with a commercial mix track that is somewhere near as you want your song to be in terms on style, brightness and bottom end, so you have a clear image of what to do and where to go. If you want any other help, feel free to ask me.

PD: I didn't want to bring your mix down, but only encourage you to get better.

Best regards,
SCh
(09-03-2016, 03:19 AM)sebachirinos Wrote: Man this mix is just too damn dark. I doesn't even stand near commercial mixes in terms of brightess. The OH have no shine whatsoever, whereas the vocals are too bright and have a LOT of sibilance. That could be easily fixed by eq'ing BEFORE compressing. I can also see that you may have a monitoring problem since you have some SERIOUS amount of low end going on, that is not gonna translate well on other systems and is gonna take a lot of your headroom. Therefore, you're not gonna be able to achieve a louder master, cause the limiter is gonna react like crazy to the bottom end, and distort really quickly. I recommend you start mixing with a commercial mix track that is somewhere near as you want your song to be in terms on style, brightness and bottom end, so you have a clear image of what to do and where to go. If you want any other help, feel free to ask me.

PD: I didn't want to bring your mix down, but only encourage you to get better.

Best regards,
SCh

Hello SCh! Thank you very much for the thorough evaluation, I really appreciate it! I'm still learning (only done 5 mixes so far) so that's the kind of feedback I need right now!

Unfortunately, I am mixing with headphones (cheap ones) so probably my bass response is not that good which leads me to allowing too much bass in the final mix! I also use MA-7A Edirol speakers, but they are not so good either (+ my room sucks also!).

Here is another version I made based on your feedback. Here is what I did:

1. Lowered the bass volume a bit.
  2. Filtered my sends to the reverb to cut some more low end to avoid possible muddiness from that.
  3. Gave my OHs a bit of compression and some additional "air" (high shelf at about 4dB).
  4. EQed before compressing the vocals and increasing the deEsser a bit more (I had it really low before).
  5. On the mix bus I cut 0.5dB on the bass side and brightened the mix overall.
  6. Limited the hell out of it! Big Grin It literally looks ironed! <- I can't say I like that but I thought I go with the flow and see what that gives me!

Do you think that's in the right direction?!

Thanks again for the feedback! Cheers!

.mp3    I\'m Alright V2.mp3 --  (Download: 6.81 MB)

This one is way better, only a bit bright though. Keep working man, your getting better!

Best,

Sebastián
Cool, thanx! Good to hear that! Smile

Cheers!