Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Four Graham by Dmix
Pretty happy with this, changed a few bits like the end ringout chord and added some drum flams to a section that felt it lost momentum.

Some weird stuff going on in the close mics and the drums, plus they weren't tuned well so had to push the samples. Would have liked to have kept the drums more natural (particularly the snare) but oh well. The overhead capture was nicely balanced so that made it easy. Vocals, guitars and bass all recorded well!

Keen for any feedback!

.mp3    dmix Four Graham.mp3 --  (Download: 6.03 MB)

[Edited by me to remove unnecessary personal comment -- Mike S.]
Who what?
For the total rubbish you was given you done well

[Again, I'd appreciate it if you could provide constructive comment about what you see as the shortcomings of the tracks, and what difficulties they cause as a result at mixdown, rather than just labelling them 'total rubbish', which no-one learns anything from. I'm not going to disagree that these are quite challenging recordings to mix, for a variety of reasons, but they're not atypical of a lot of band-produced small-studio rock recordings and I think they're good practice to wrestle with for that reason. Mike S.]
Sounds cool. Enjoyed it. Love the flams.
Thanks guys.

Wouldn't go as far as saying total rubbish at all, seen muuuuuch worse. There were some strange edit cutoffs but they weren't really noticeable in context, it was just the kick and snare really. Sounded like they had noisegates with the attack too slow printed on the tracks? Kinda gave them a woosh sound.
Dmix, nice work here mate. I particularly like your snare sound, great job. To my ears, the kick is a little spongey and is getting lost during the chorus. Aside from that, all sounds pretty tasty to me.
Really nice job! Very good sounding drums. What samples were used? 100% replaced? Well done.
(06-03-2016, 09:59 AM)mick2015 Wrote: Dmix, nice work here mate. I particularly like your snare sound, great job. To my ears, the kick is a little spongey and is getting lost during the chorus. Aside from that, all sounds pretty tasty to me.

Thanks. To be honest I think the snare sounds a little too fake, I've played around with it since and might post another version. I think I slightly overscooped the kick out which is what I think you mean by spongey? I'm not hearing it getting lost in the chorus though. Just listened to your mix and can see how different we made them!

(07-03-2016, 11:37 PM)konop_tnt Wrote: Really nice job! Very good sounding drums. What samples were used? 100% replaced? Well done.

Cheers.

Toms are stock samples in Slate Trigger, kick is one by Messiah (came bundled with their cab IRs). Snare is 4 samples, the main one is a Pearl Free Floating by Drumwerks but I'm also running some room and OH samples I made. The snare samples are all one shots, I should probably make some TCI files from them as it would help to sound a bit more natural.

Kick and toms were fully replaced. Snare is probably 75% sample, kinda hard to give an exact amount as they're on separate faders. Obviously you're also hearing all the drums from the overheads too so it could never be 100%.
(08-03-2016, 01:08 AM)Dmix Wrote:
(06-03-2016, 09:59 AM)mick2015 Wrote: Dmix, nice work here mate. I particularly like your snare sound, great job. To my ears, the kick is a little spongey and is getting lost during the chorus. Aside from that, all sounds pretty tasty to me.

Thanks. To be honest I think the snare sounds a little too fake, I've played around with it since and might post another version. I think I slightly overscooped the kick out which is what I think you mean by spongey? I'm not hearing it getting lost in the chorus though. Just listened to your mix and can see how different we made them!

I still like that snare! In regards to the kick it does sound a bit scooped and by spongey I mean it sounds like you may have used some form of tape saturation which has killed some of the transient thump? Correct me if I'm wrong.