Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fredy V - Not Alone
(20-03-2016, 09:32 AM)mingus Wrote:
(12-03-2016, 04:08 PM)Mixinthecloud Wrote: 3-12-2016

After going back and forth with some of the esteemed colleagues here, I had to concur that my mix of this song did lack some warmth or a full bottom end. So here, I have addressed it.

Please let me know what you think.

FANTASTIC!

Thanks so much.
PreSonus Studio One DAW
[email protected]
Good mix. Good balance between instruments. Good use of reverb and effects!

Personally I think your mix is a bit too much scooped sounding. The mix sounds like a heavy metal mix, and it's not quite fitting the genre.
There is also too much information up above 10k, making the mix harsh to listen too, especially the hi-hat which is just dominating everything.

Have a listen to my mix and give me some feedback Smile
All comments made my me on this forum are purely subjective on my part. You're allowed to disagree with me, I certainly do not know all.
That said, we're all here to help each other, so happy mixing! :D

www.siverthenriksen.no/en
(20-04-2016, 12:34 PM)sivert_h Wrote: Good mix. Good balance between instruments. Good use of reverb and effects!

Personally I think your mix is a bit too much scooped sounding. The mix sounds like a heavy metal mix, and it's not quite fitting the genre.
There is also too much information up above 10k, making the mix harsh to listen too, especially the hi-hat which is just dominating everything.

Have a listen to my mix and give me some feedback Smile

That is funny. I was listening to my mix again yesterday and thinking the precise same thing. Very heavy and hard and needing to be softened up to fit the genre. As for the high end, it seems that is a common thread for my mixes which I will address in my mastering process.

Thanks for the astute feedback.
PreSonus Studio One DAW
[email protected]
So feedback was telling me my mix of this wonderful song was either scooped or too brittle (I take relatively the same meaning from these descriptions). With that in mind I offer up a smoother mix with reduced top end in the mastering process. I'd like to know if I have addressed the scooping or brittleness appropriately or if there is still a need for softening.

.mp3    Fredy V - Not Alone.mp3 --  (Download: 15.32 MB)

PreSonus Studio One DAW
[email protected]
It's really good. There is definitely more bottom and meat on it. Maybe a little too much kick and bass. I can hear the master bus choking out the snare after some hard kik hits and the occasional vocal. What is on the bus? Maybe just raising the threshold will chill it out enough. I did get to hear some parts I had never noticed before.
(22-04-2016, 05:46 PM)mingus Wrote: It's really good. There is definitely more bottom and meat on it. Maybe a little too much kick and bass. I can hear the master bus choking out the snare after some hard kik hits and the occasional vocal. What is on the bus? Maybe just raising the threshold will chill it out enough. I did get to hear some parts I had never noticed before.

There is a lot going on here. The first device in the chain is an over-all buss compressor at 2:1 and at 50% parallel with only a small bite. next is a 4 band, multi-band compressor doing a lot of work to smooth out the character of the sonic content. Next is a 7 band parametric EQ doing some low end sweetening and some notching in the upper mids and highs. Next is a true peak limiter. These are all inserts. In the post is a Mid-Side, phase coherent graphic EQ for some final sweetening and next, a final limiter. The limiters in all locations are set for true peak and are just nipping peaks to ensure compliance with standards. Their sonic contribution is minimal.

I significantly reduced the level of the kick drum and slightly boosted the bass guitar, but it may take more manipulation considering the multi-band compression. I made no changes to that in mastering after the remix but this may need addressing.
PreSonus Studio One DAW
[email protected]
c4 for the multiband? I sometimes put a c6 in there and just kiss it.
(23-04-2016, 06:00 AM)mingus Wrote: c4 for the multiband? I sometimes put a c6 in there and just kiss it.

I'm not sure what you are referring to with the C4/C6. The PreSonus Multiband compressor has 4 bands. For this song the multiband is doing a lot of work. Typically I do not use a multiband compressor when I master.
PreSonus Studio One DAW
[email protected]
The latest re-master with a reduction in low-end bump. Let me know how this fares.

.mp3    Fredy V - Not Alone.mp3 --  (Download: 15.32 MB)

PreSonus Studio One DAW
[email protected]