Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I'm Alright - Lt. Gir Mix
Hi everyone.

I am the newest of newbies to mixing and would like some feedback on this mix I did. I added some reverbs and delays throughout the tracks as well as some distortion to the electric guitar. I was aiming to draw a little more focus to the Santana style guitar playing in this song because I am in love with the guitar tracks.

I feel like I did well with this mix myself but like I said, I am a newbie here so I would like to know what you all think I did well with and what may need fixing. if there is anything I need to fix (which I am sure there is), please be specific about the details.

Thanks
Deb

.mp3    ImAlrightMix_DS 1.mp3 --  (Download: 3.43 MB)

"Have you ever sat and thought about what life would be like without music? Actually imagine never hearing a note, melody, or a lyric; never knowing the feeling you get when you tap your foot to a rhythm? It’s unimaginable to me."

~Sully Erna of Godsmack~
Hi,

Perhaps the balance provide a little more of the kick. The mix could be opened up some more by panning some parts more to the left and right side. And careful with treble boosting Smile Or did some parts have low-cuts?

Greetings!

(25-02-2016, 07:27 PM)DStudebaker Wrote: Hi everyone.

I am the newest of newbies to mixing and would like some feedback on this mix I did. I added some reverbs and delays throughout the tracks as well as some distortion to the electric guitar. I was aiming to draw a little more focus to the Santana style guitar playing in this song because I am in love with the guitar tracks.

I feel like I did well with this mix myself but like I said, I am a newbie here so I would like to know what you all think I did well with and what may need fixing. if there is anything I need to fix (which I am sure there is), please be specific about the details.

Thanks
Deb

great. i will work on the panning and definitely check the treble and low cuts.

thanks for the feedback. i really appreciate it.
"Have you ever sat and thought about what life would be like without music? Actually imagine never hearing a note, melody, or a lyric; never knowing the feeling you get when you tap your foot to a rhythm? It’s unimaginable to me."

~Sully Erna of Godsmack~
(25-02-2016, 07:27 PM)DStudebaker Wrote: Hi everyone.

Thanks
Deb

Hmmm. Firstly, the Carlos Santana reference is not lost on anyone mixing this great song. Here is what I don't get with your mix and the statement about it you've made. I think the track is great and you have left all kinds of room for the fantastic guitar line in this song. But then you squash and crush the guitar into a tiny little, thin nothing that is unfortunately cringe-worthy instead of letting it go and bringing out the great depth of tone in this guitar part and the guitar that Carlos Santana would want to hear. It is just odd, because the backing track is great yet the part you decry as the honey in the pot is turned into a tortured shadow of greatness there for the taking. I don't get that. Sorry to be so harsh in my assessment.
PreSonus Studio One DAW
[email protected]
My objection is on the guitars. The classical jumps out too much and seems dry. The electric (when playing the rhythm) sounds too bright and also on the solo it seems to be lacking some "body". Maybe bring back some low mids on this! Smile
Mixinthecloud

Thanks for the feedback. Harsh or not, I do appreciate the insight. Do you have any suggestions as to how I can fix it?

~Sully Erna of Godsmack~
gkallergis

I will work on bringing up the low mids. Thank you for the feedback.

I will post another mix for all of you as soon as I get all this fixed. As I said in my original post, I am a newbie to mixing music so any and all feedback is most definitely welcome.

~Sully Erna of Godsmack~
What you could do is simply save this mix, and think of what you would love to hear. Find a piece of music that has elements of that (Santana maybe?) and use that as a reference.

Make a new mix, and import the reference into the program you're mixing with and first try as best as possible to just recreate the drum sound, the bass, the guitar, the vocals, etc. Try to compare a bit, but always with equal volume levels.

What helps me usually is just do a fresh mix, with an eye for simple actions: First balance out the tracks, pan them, use eq-s where nessecary to help balance out further. A little compression, and perhaps eq on the whole mix and a little here and there to get everything to work together.

It's also a good thing to walk from the area where you mix, and listen for balances while being in the next room, or listen on a simple desktop speakers to be able to hear every important instrument.

Have fun, and post the new mix! Smile

(04-03-2016, 04:15 PM)DStudebaker Wrote: gkallergis

I will work on bringing up the low mids. Thank you for the feedback.

I will post another mix for all of you as soon as I get all this fixed. As I said in my original post, I am a newbie to mixing music so any and all feedback is most definitely welcome.

Spadaro_Music

Awesome! Thanks for the advice. I will definitely try that for sure and then post a new mix for you all to hear.

I definitely appreciate all the feedback from everyone.

~Sully Erna of Godsmack~