Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 2.67 Average
My Daisy Daisy Mix!
Hi everyone! I'm new to this website and mixing in general, this is my fourth and final mix of this song. Any constructive criticism would be great, and I hope you enjoy! Smile

.mp3    Daisy Daisy.mp3 --  (Download: 4.12 MB)

To be honest the mix is a shambles.Its not a mix its just a noise.
The truth hurts but needs to be said.
Listen to the preview mix and start again.
(21-04-2013, 01:30 AM)takka360 Wrote: To be honest the mix is a shambles.Its not a mix its just a noise.
The truth hurts but needs to be said.
Listen to the preview mix and start again.

Well thanks for the advice, but could you be a bit more specific? Thats not exactly helpful to improving my current mix.
To be honest you need to start again.
Start with the drums,kick a snare get them level then bring in the toms.
Bring in the bass and try to get it locked in to the kick .
When you have this done and are happy with the levels then bring in the guitars
and bear in mind guitars in a mix never have to be as loud as you think they need to be
it took me weeks to grasp that and still gives me problems.
Then vocal on top this is the way i mix.Make shure you can hear everything clear and to be safe
put a low cut filter on the master bus,try to eq the guitars at around 100 hz ish to keep the bottom clear for the kick and bass etc and if your not shure what you are doing with compression dont use it untill you have a mix that is clear and clean you can add comp etc later,i have done mixes without any comp and one of my best mixes that i think was one of my best mixes had no comp on anything just a bus comp on the master bus.
Start from scratch ita all good practice.There was no point in me saying oh yeah your mix is good but thats why i said its a shambles but i think
you know that yourself, its not the end of the world just do it again
I put this together very quick just to give you an example of what im talking about.I done it very quick and didnt bother with toms its just an example of maybe the type thing you are looking at.
JUST TRYING TO GIVE YOU SOME ADVICE.

.mp3    daisy.mp3 --  (Download: 4.69 MB)

(21-04-2013, 06:35 AM)takka360 Wrote: I put this together very quick just to give you an example of what im talking about.I done it very quick and didnt bother with toms its just an example of maybe the type thing you are looking at.

Thanks for the advice, but thats almost exactly what I did, I started with the drums, mixed them together, EQ'd and just compressed the kick.
Then I added the bass, putting a cut around the frequency of the kick, and cutting around the mid/highs until I got the sound I wanted. Then I added the guitar, I cut at the lows to make room for the kick and the bass, and just a tiny bit on the highs to make room for the cymbals. Last I added vocals, I cut on the lows and low/mids just a little for room on the guitar, and boosted around 5k for a little bit of that "shine", and cut on the very highs to get rid of some of the sting, the "s" noises and to make room for the cymbals again. Then I EQ'd the output cutting with a low shelf due to the fact that it was a bit bass heavy, boosting just a tiny amount around 5k for that "shine" and finally I added some compression, limiting, and I added Ozone 5 for stereo widening and brightness.
(21-04-2013, 06:35 AM)takka360 Wrote: I put this together very quick just to give you an example of what im talking about.I done it very quick and didnt bother with toms its just an example of maybe the type thing you are looking at.

Even though that's what I did, I'll start over with a quick mix following your style today.
You dont have to make it sound like mine,still do your own thing just try getting it all a bit clearer.
(21-04-2013, 03:43 PM)takka360 Wrote: You dont have to make it sound like mine,still do your own thing just try getting it all a bit clearer.

Here, I followed exactly what you said: 1. Mix drums 2. Mix Bass with drums/kick 3. Add guitar 4. Add vocals

There is no compression, and almost no effects, just some reverb on the vocals, stereo widening on output and a exiter on the solo guitar. Smile

This is just a first quick mix, I only spent 2 or 3 hours on it, so it hasn't been perfected at all. Hope you like this one Big Grin

.mp3    Daisy Daisy Try #2.mp3 --  (Download: 4.15 MB)

There ya go it sounds like a mix now so well done Big Grin