Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Another mix of 'Patrick Talbot - Upper Hand'
Dear Mixing-Community,

this is my first post in this forum and my first request for professional feedback ever.

I tryed to create a warm sounding mix without rearranging any material.
This is also my first approch in using the NLS plugin from waves for simulating an analog mixingdesk. I'm esecially courious about what you think about the reverb Information, I tried to imagine a medium sized Jazzclub.
I think the material was well recorded, so the major part was just riding faders an pan levels.

It would be nice if I coult get little criticism on that mix.
Please dont be gentle Smile

Ottmar

.mp3    Partick Talbot - Upper Hand.mp3 --  (Download: 10.53 MB)

Great sounding mix Ottmar, I think your reverb choices work well. This is quite apparent with the percussion and in particular the snare which can sound a little alien in the quieter sections of the song. You have made it all marry quite nicely. Unable to really criticise anything. Are the vocals a tiny bit hot? Just a subjective question.

Well Done
Dave.
I think overall it sounds very good. Levels all work nicely.

Criticisms:

Not convinced about the delay on the acoustic guitars.

A bit of low-end build-up, which has led to having to thin-out the brass, which loses it punch, impact and power.

Fadeout is rather abrupt.
Hey Judders and Dangerous,
Thank you verry much for the nice feedback!!!

(19-02-2016, 12:21 PM)Dangerous Wrote: ...Are the vocals a tiny bit hot? Just a subjective question.

You are right. The same thought came trough my mind but I wasn't really shure, but now that you say it, I'm convinced, thanks.

(19-02-2016, 01:11 PM)Judders Wrote: Not convinced about the delay on the acoustic guitars.

A bit of low-end build-up, which has led to having to thin-out the brass, which loses it punch, impact and power.

dou you mean delay in general, or the way its set up?
I dit this because I really like the effect when you put delay on hard paned guitars and pan it to the opposite site..

I'm gonna work on that low end build up, do you think a multiband compressor would do it?

I agree on the fade out, acutally forgot to work on this in general^^

Have a nice weekend!
Cheers
(19-02-2016, 05:24 PM)OttmarHafenkante Wrote:
(19-02-2016, 01:11 PM)Judders Wrote: Not convinced about the delay on the acoustic guitars.

dou you mean delay in general, or the way its set up?
I dit this because I really like the effect when you put delay on hard paned guitars and pan it to the opposite site..

I'm gonna work on that low end build up, do you think a multiband compressor would do it?

I agree on the fade out, acutally forgot to work on this in general^^

Have a nice weekend!
Cheers

I meant the delay in general. I'm just not sure it fits this kind of music. If anything, I'd think a very short slapback echo could work better.

A multiband compressor, or dynamic EQ could work. I think maybe you should look to take a little off the bass at around 180Hz-280Hz.

You have a great weekend too! Smile
Good one Ottmar! I don't hate the delay on the acoustics, doesn't sound bad to me, it's different...
I find the bass a little bit undefined and buried at times, perhaps the reverb has too much low-end content and is masking it?
And I agree that the vocal is a little bit too loud. And the end is supposed to be a fade, if there is one in your mix, it's much too short IMHO. Still a cool mix. Smile
"Music, in performance, is a type of sculpture. The air in the performance is sculpted into something." - Frank Zappa

Some air moved here
My reaction to the delay on the acoustics, was "umm, tasty!" I like it a lot. My only objection is the whoompiness of the bass guitar which is masking things for me.
PreSonus Studio One DAW
[email protected]