Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Upper Hand - Judders
(26-02-2016, 06:39 PM)ptalbot Wrote: In any case it sounds like you had fun with it, which is a good thing! Smile

Oh yeah, it was fun, and thanks for uploading it for us to play with! Smile

(26-02-2016, 06:39 PM)ptalbot Wrote: I disagree about your comments on the drums, the midi is coming mostly from midi libraries which are played by real drummers and that I've just rearranged to go with the song.

Yeah, I guess we'll have to agree to disagree. It sounds like the drums were played/programmed to fit a different sample set. The ghost notes and cymbal crashes in particular sound rather computery in terms of dynamics to me.

(26-02-2016, 06:39 PM)ptalbot Wrote: In any case, you are right that the bass is driving the groove, but I think it best work when combined with the acoustics and drums as they are.

I think it would be great to hear your songs played by a live band. Beware demo-itis; it's very easy to get attached to a rough mix! Smile

(26-02-2016, 06:39 PM)ptalbot Wrote: PS: Thanks for the tips about the Roots SDX, I'll keep that in mind. That being said, I find the Custom & Vintage a lot more versatile and more adapted to what I'm looking for more often than not.

I felt the same for a while, until I had a friend play his e-kit using SD. Roots came out on top for big rock and pop sounds, but it has a very different velocity curve to the other SDX libraries I've used, so it never works as a straight-swap on recorded/programmed midi.

I love Custom & Vintage, but I feel its strengths lie in small 70's sounding drums, whether that's prog, funk or hip-hop.

Anyway, this is probably a discussion for a different forum!

Thanks again for taking the time to respond Smile