Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Patrick Talbot - "Upper Hand"
i have no idea what you lot are listening to, but it isn't the same as me.

dude, this worries me. you were doing work better than this when you first came into the forum. i put this thru the spectral anal' to try and understand what i was listening to because it was so weird? i'm not going to mince my words, but the frequency response is catastrophic - that's an objective observation, not a subjective one. i recommend you do the same; check out both the mid and sides (separately of course), the picture will be worth a thousand words but i could sum it up in one.

Nx? perhaps it's the new acronym for "No thanX"? lol. buy a second Avantone and get into ultra nearfield to minimise the acoustics issue and ebay the plug. the alternative is to spend ages trying to learn how the Nx is messing up your perceptions, and try to adjust for the major discrepancies between what you are hearing and what you need to hear and hope that you can actually get there. FWIW, i think life's too short mate. listening, and looking at the spectral anal', you are a longgggggg way off.

Alan's comment about "lifeless" was experienced by me too; the material lacked attack. the v2 mix is also lacking in this regard.
Beware...........Cognitive Dissonance!
If you want to mix with phones I would just get sonarworks ref 3 or redline monitor.
This NX thing just sounds like a gimmick to me and ive heard terrible mixes with people using it.
OK, I got it. No more nx while mixing after the result. Maybe only as a way to check a few things when the ix is finished. Thank you for your comments
mixing since April 2013
The vox space sounds still a bit odd to me. That could be explained by NX. If it adds nice early reflections and super natural listening space, then it can mask spatial problems inherent inherent in recordings. But I haven’t tried that NX, so I’m just doing guesses.

Maybe I should be worried about my own degrading listening skills, but sill I think Juan has done pretty good mix here. Maybe a a bit too much low end a bit too harsh air area, but still I consider those quite minor thing. Those could be fixed with couple of small adjustments.

But there’s plenty of good things that are not so easily done. Personally I think this is much nicer than the preview-mix. Bass feels natural and sounds like a double bass, drums sound good to me, pannings and balances work well etc.

I think it’s just fine in this forum to shortly say ”I like it”, but if one bashes a mix badly, I think one should explain one’s words a bit more. And of course it would be a nice habbit, if commentator could show his own mix where all the problems are solved.

I haven’t tried NX but I’m quite sure it can become a nice enviroment to test one’s mix. But maybe not the only environent to do the mixing decicions. Especially if one considers the fact that music is more and more listend through headphones without any added spatial tools.
I can say that every mistake gives you a chance to learn something. In this case I think that the plugin is no good to be used for a big amount of time during the mixing process, but in my case it has been good for spotting volume problems and also to identify instrument positions more clearly.

Getting to know your tools is essential not only in mixing but in all things in life. If you learn what your tool is good for and what it is no good at all, then you can benefit from that knowledge.

I decided to say that I was using that plugin because I felt quite unconfident while mixing and wanted to check about what others thought of the result. Maybe it's not my best mix ever but if I hadn't learned from previous mistakes throughout these three years mixing, it would have been even worse.

But those comments don't discourage me... They make me want to get better Smile
mixing since April 2013
JJ, there's a lot of things that throw our judgements out the window when mixing:

your brain has "responded" to the change in your "monitoring environment". if you mixed on a pair of bright speakers tomorrow, you'd suddenly produce warmer mixes. and if you mixed on warm speakers, your mixes would tend to have more treble in comparison....it's the cumulative effects of how we each respond as individuals to the changes in stimulus that's important. some of this response is going to be based on how your brain is affected by the psychoacoustics, so sometimes there's no logic or actual consciousness on our part when we make a parameter adjustment. if the warm speaker presents a warm sound, we will automatically dial in more treble to compensate- but it's a reaction. importantly, if a "critical" listening environment isn't critical enough, then it will hamper development at a minimum, or provide a constraint/barrier to attaining the desired or necessary skill level.

you are right not to be discouraged when a 50 dollar plugin unwittingly messes with your psyche. and there's absolutely nothing wrong with trying things out and seeing what happens and taking a punt. indeed, with some CD referencing and getting used to the new "perspective" (perhaps before mixing anything with it), you may find that it can form an invaluable part of your mixing routine....or not. if it was me, i'd ask myself if it's worth fighting for, given how much it's indirectly messed with the frequency response outcome and done so with quite a bit of drama (in my opinion, FWIW). but as you say, it might have some values elsewhere from your perspective. only you can make that call, and that's how it should be.

what worries me however, is that if it's messed with your judgements in a way you were unaware of in the finished mix, how can you be confident of it's benefit/reliability when making [any] parameter adjustments in future?
Beware...........Cognitive Dissonance!
Hi, Dave!

(18-02-2016, 01:35 AM)The_Metallurgist Wrote: what worries me however, is that if it's messed with your judgements in a way you were unaware of in the finished mix, how can you be confident of it's benefit/reliability when making [any] parameter adjustments in future?

That is something that worries me as well, and I'm mad at myself for not being able to hear it.

So I guess that it will be better from now on not to post a mix as soon as it's finished, but wait a few days after spending some time with another mix, so I can have a brand new perspective and be able to judge my own work in a better way.

Some things have to be learned the hard way, but don't worry. I know that's part of the process Smile

mixing since April 2013