Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Upper Hand - Olli H
Difficult, I tried my best...

EDIT
New version with fixed bass alignment, and some other smaller issues.

I deleted the old version as there was nothing to learn to anybody from such a bad mistakes. (And I'm already using over 1 Giga of space from Mike's server... There should be some limit, for it's not free to run a server full of hobbyist's mixes.)

.mp3    upperhand-2016-02-04-Olli-H.mp3 --  (Download: 10.08 MB)

Did you accidentally shift the ads part ahead of the beat? On my non-critical headphones your mix sounds really nice. But the bass groove feels rushed.

Nice work on the mix!
What is "ads part"? Pads?
But yes, and damn, my bass track has moved backwards a bit. Now I know why I didn't feel comfortable with bass at all.
Yes, the bass feels a bit odd. And rather undefined: it's very low and doesn't cut much on regular speakers (what I'm using right now to listen). Vocal sound a bit muffled as well. I like the drums, and the end solo guitar has a good tone, but I think the horns and bgvs are a bit too wet and remote. Would love to hear a revision with the bass fixed at least. Wink
"Music, in performance, is a type of sculpture. The air in the performance is sculpted into something." - Frank Zappa

Some air moved here
(03-02-2016, 08:24 PM)Olli H Wrote: What is "ads part"? Pads?
But yes, and damn, my bass track has moved backwards a bit. Now I know why I didn't feel comfortable with bass at all.

Haha, sorry, was typing on my phone. Somehow bass autocorrected to ads, so i meant to type bass. Stupid thumbs. . .

Draper
Some nice tones here, Ollie. The bass issue has been clearly documented and I tend to agree with Pat's comments. The lead vocal is a bit dark and the bgvs need a bit of work.
(03-02-2016, 04:02 PM)Olli H Wrote: Difficult, I tried my best...

I love your mix Olli
open, wide, clear

Yes, some issue has been reported
If you'll fix those, pay attention to the tambourine also
it's quite out of the room referring to the drum
and it sounds too much "woody" (overcompressed ?)
It doesn't help the groove as it is now

Just to reach the perfection Wink
Thanks for all good and usable comments, I made some fixes to my mix.
I don't know about the previous mix, but this one sounds really well!
mixing since April 2013
Sounds much better now Olli! Smile
2 little nipticks (feel free to ignore, of course!):
- the bass could still use a little bit of definition, perhaps try some saturation to bring up the highs?
- the lead guitar solo is a bit low, it would benefit from a db or two boost.
Apart from that, it sounds nice and smooth, great job!
"Music, in performance, is a type of sculpture. The air in the performance is sculpted into something." - Frank Zappa

Some air moved here