Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Öjebokören: That's Entertainment - mix Tommy Marcinek
Angel

Well, I took a different approach, as usual.....lol. I wanted to keep those deep lower register notes on the piano in there, hopefully without interfering with the singers. I also arranged the singers in a way that was not too hard-panned, yet there is plenty of space and air. Let me know what'cha think.

Tom

------------------------
UPDATE:

Thanks for all your advice. I remixed this and left the original one up for comparison. Hope you guys like this one.

Tom

.mp3    That\'s Entertainment_1_Mastered.mp3 --  (Download: 5.64 MB)

.mp3    That\'s Entertainment_3.mp3 --  (Download: 5.64 MB)

tommymarcinek.com - Tommy Marcinek
I miss some space on the piano so that it folds back a bit.
It´s way too hot for my liking. i think it would benefit from a slightly lighter hand on that limiter.
(01-02-2016, 02:55 AM)mange Wrote: I miss some space on the piano so that it folds back a bit.
It´s way too hot for my liking. i think it would benefit from a slightly lighter hand on that limiter.

Thanks for the feedback. I agree. It's too hot for this genre. I tend to like everything too loud. I will revisit this one....some good learning to be had here on this one.

Thanks again,

Tom

Hi Tommy,

As almost all of your mixes, the tracks themselves are well balanced on their own but in some way in this mix its too modern, hard, harsh, too bassy, over stressed in a way, while I love your sweet great mix compositions, I'm sorry to say this mix should be more like you treat all your other lovely mixes.
So, in advance: I LOVE to hear your improved "Tom Marcinek" worthy final soon Tom. Wink

Cheers dude,
Luc

Pro Tools 12.7
https://soundcloud.com/luc-van-der-stap
http://www.aecom.nl
-Mobile and static studios are ready :-) http://www.audioreg.com
'Mixing is pure subjective, once the 1st mix is launched it will be considered as the best, hence the standard'
(04-02-2016, 10:14 PM)Luc van der Stap Wrote: Hi Tommy,

As almost all of your mixes, the tracks themselves are well balanced on their own but in some way in this mix its too modern, hard, harsh, too bassy, over stressed in a way, while I love your sweet great mix compositions, I'm sorry to say this mix should be more like you treat all your other lovely mixes.
So, in advance: I LOVE to hear your improved "Tom Marcinek" worthy final soon Tom. Wink

Cheers dude,
Luc
---------------------------------

Luc,

Thanks for your input and your kind words about my other mixes....much appreciated, believe me. As to this mix, you are not the only one who expressed the same observation, and so I want to thank all of you who are helping me to make better mixes!!! I put up a second mix after massaging it and keeping my heavy final limiter hands off the darn thing (well, it's there but not pushed at all). I left the first mix there so you can hear the difference. Hopefully this mix is more to your liking.

Tom

I like it Tom, It's a bit quiet though don't you think? Only joking! lol. I know by now to always turn the volume down before pressing play. The first time I listened to one of your mixes, it blew the cans straight off my head! lol That's your style so keep it up. The only thing I can suggest is to soften the piano attack a little maybe with a transient controller or the sort. Just finding it a little distracting throughout the performance . That's if you want to of course. Well Done.

Dave.
(05-02-2016, 07:39 AM)Dangerous Wrote: I like it Tom, It's a bit quiet though don't you think? Only joking! lol. I know by now to always turn the volume down before pressing play. The first time I listened to one of your mixes, it blew the cans straight off my head! lol That's your style so keep it up. The only thing I can suggest is to soften the piano attack a little maybe with a transient controller or the sort. Just finding it a little distracting throughout the performance . That's if you want to of course. Well Done.

Dave.

---------------------
Dave, thanks for the laughs AND the compliments! Yeah, I was considering doing just that with the piano, and even tried it, but then the piano seemed too distant to me....seemed to lose definition, and since that is the only rhythmic/tonal element aside from the voices I opted for lowering it and using reverb to bring it back a bit in the mix. Maybe I could have lowered it even more. Confession: I mixed this one totally with cans (which many say is a no-no), but I was mixing this one on my laptop while doing other things, etc., so I wanted to try doing it that way. I've never heard my mix in anything other than cans. I appreciate your kinds words and suggestions. Perhaps a different plug or series of lighter instances of a transient plug might do the trick....but those are on my main music computer....would have to transfer the project there to do that. :-)

Tom