Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Upper Hand
So, I've done a little bit here and there over the past couple of days. Haven't spent a lot of time on it, but probably more than 2 hours, I'd say.

I think my cymbals may be too bright now, but I already made my decision to bounce. (I'm sure I'll go back and make another one with the highs dulled a bit in the overheads).

What does everyone think?

Draper

.mp3    Upper Hand MP3.mp3 --  (Download: 10.57 MB)

Highs are definitely way too hot on the cymbals
Tamed the highs

.mp3    Upper Hand 2 MP3.mp3 --  (Download: 10.57 MB)

Tamed highs version sounds better.

I find the mix to be a bit too wet though, drums sound remote and have lost some punch, and the acoustic guitars too, at least that's my first impression. The reverb sounds good though, and it got better as I was listening along, probably getting used to it Smile
It's not wrong, of course. Just different.

The accent electric is very low, almost not heard, I kind of miss it. And the Rhodes is lower than the piano when I think the opposite work better (that piano is not very interesting anyway, it's just there to give just a little bit more attack to the rhodes, which itself is intended as a sort of pad).

But apart from these nitpicks, I think your version has lots to like. The wetness has grown on me! Wink
"Music, in performance, is a type of sculpture. The air in the performance is sculpted into something." - Frank Zappa

Some air moved here
Thanks Patrick. I flip flopped on the wetness myself. Just for fun, I'll make up a drier version! Always good to practice different mixing styles, right?

And I'll play around with the levels the way that you described, to give you that image, I think you're probably right about, well, all of it, haha.

Thanks, as always, for sharing your music!

Draper
2 versions.

1 Drier with revision of levels at your suggestion

2 same, with an added verb on the master track, more subtle than the previous wet track.

The original verb is still there, just lowered in the mix.

Draper

.mp3    Upper Hand Dry Mix.mp3 --  (Download: 10.57 MB)

.mp3    Upper Hand Dry Mix with verb.mp3 --  (Download: 10.57 MB)

Hello Draper!

Listening to your latest update I hear the left guitar louder than the right one. Not sure if it was intended to be like that.
I found a frequency ringing in my mix and I can hear it on yours too. at 2:21-25 or so. I found it in the piano so I notched it down around 2khz to kill the ringing it produces with acoustic guitar.
The shaker seems a bit too bright for my taste but that's just me.
I like the vintage sound on the kick. Didn't think of that my self but it fits great on the mix.
I like the horns too.

Overall you have good balance man! and It's a good mix. I like it Smile

Hey Shul, thanks for the listen. The left guitar being louder was intentional. I felt it gave a cool kind of movement to the part. The right almost feels delayed, so it gave a cool groove, imo.

I'll have to go in and notch that frequency.

Thanks for the thoughts and the kind words!

Draper
Both revision sounds great, Draper! I like the rhodes/piano combination much better now, and the drums have a cool snap (I agree with Shul with the sound of the kick, it fits the tune very well). I also like the slight imbalance in the acoustic guitars, I agree that it helps the groove. I intentionally didn't tighten these 2 takes, I felt that the imperfections made the tune sound more real.
Hard to decide between the 2 version. I usually prefer dryer mixes, but both sound pretty tasty to me. Great job! Smile
"Music, in performance, is a type of sculpture. The air in the performance is sculpted into something." - Frank Zappa

Some air moved here
I really enjoyed the dry mix, Draper. Excellent work, I honestly can't fault the mix decisions you have made. The snap of the snare very cool indeed. My only suggestions, which are really just personal preference, is the crash cymbal on the left hand side seems a bit loud in context and the guitar solo could be beefed up a little (but that's my guitar player side showing LOL). Great work, thumbs up here.