Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Patrick Talbot: 'Upper Hand'
My try at mixing this song. Any comments are welcome

.mp3    Upper Hand.mp3 --  (Download: 5.29 MB)

Hard to comment on that. I'd say it's perfect: you nailed the silence really well! Wink
"Music, in performance, is a type of sculpture. The air in the performance is sculpted into something." - Frank Zappa

Some air moved here
That was embarrassing! Somehow all tracks got muted during export. I uploaded the correct export. WITH SOUND :p
Sounds better now! Smile
I think the low end of the bass is masking quite a lot of the mix. It's a fine line of course between too much and not enough, but I think you have some frequency imbalance in your mix, with the bass dominating too much. The drums in particular are buried behind it.
The vocals are quite loud, and dwarf everything else as well. The piano is louder than the rhodes and I would tend to do the opposite, but that's a taste thing. The fade could have come earlier as well, the last notes of the lead are not that good (my fault! Smile)
Overall, I think if you addressed the low end first then make sure the levels are reasonable for each instruments you'll have a good mix.
"Music, in performance, is a type of sculpture. The air in the performance is sculpted into something." - Frank Zappa

Some air moved here
I took out some bass and set the vocals a bit lower.

.mp3    Upper Hand PatrickTalbot 1.2016.mp3 --  (Download: 5.98 MB)