Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Patrick Talbot - Upper Hand (M&F)
(04-02-2016, 04:05 PM)Shul Wrote: But you should do so without making other people's work insignificant or qualify them as demo quality, I assure you the majority of the people here try very hard. Having said that I apologize if I made you upset with my opinion.

I've heard demo quality on the forum but was not implying from you.. There is tremendous talent in this forum so it's important to me to retain a good rapport and make use of the additional ears.. There's no issue with your comments, as long as they're technical then it's A-OK.

Cool
M1 Pro MBP: is my Hattori Hanzo.
(02-02-2016, 10:25 AM)DaveDaG Wrote: I'll not comment about mix style and approach 'cause it's all about personal taste
Technically the mix sounds a tad overprocessed and unbalanced for a mastered mix
You have too much 60hz, 3.2khz and 9 khz. This means that it can sounds very different on different system

Eq the master just to experimenting this changes effect

3.2khz is the "harsh" area, try to smooth it and you'll obtain a warmer mix preserving all the power you want

Just try and let us know

I got around to that recall and posted it in the top post.. thanks again.
Balances feel good to me.

In my opinon this is pretty good mix. But here’s some small issues that came to my mind while listening this. And if you happen to agree with me, I think they would be quite easy to fix.

Main thing I would say: choose slightly softer reference track for this type of music. Now the overall sound is a bit too edgy if one considers overall energy level, and how softly this is sung, and how smooth touch the band has (exclude the bass), AND how academic the supposed target audience is.

Acoustic guitar sound great

Bass has a some sort of ”too forced and squeezed” sound in it. Well I know, it was in the multitracks also. As if the strings of the bass are very tight and the bass is played with very strong touch.

VOx sounds great

Snare and kick sound a bit as if they are from different kits. I think in this kind of genre it might be a good idea to consider drums as one instrument. Snare sound is a bit rude. It might be just perfect sound for another genre. With this song I would prefer a bit softer room.

Nice idea to turn the 1:30 area to a small bass solo
(09-02-2016, 06:55 PM)Olli H Wrote: Balances feel good to me.

In my opinon this is pretty good mix. But here’s some small issues that came to my mind while listening this. And if you happen to agree with me, I think they would be quite easy to fix.

Main thing I would say: choose slightly softer reference track for this type of music. Now the overall sound is a bit too edgy if one considers overall energy level, and how softly this is sung, and how smooth touch the band has (exclude the bass), AND how academic the supposed target audience is.

Acoustic guitar sound great

Bass has a some sort of ”too forced and squeezed” sound in it. Well I know, it was in the multitracks also. As if the strings of the bass are very tight and the bass is played with very strong touch.

VOx sounds great

Snare and kick sound a bit as if they are from different kits. I think in this kind of genre it might be a good idea to consider drums as one instrument. Snare sound is a bit rude. It might be just perfect sound for another genre. With this song I would prefer a bit softer room.

Nice idea to turn the 1:30 area to a small bass solo

Great notes.. I also feel the drums included with the multitrack feels stronger than I would expect and it was mixed to meet the kind of sound the snare commands.. And even in the mix posted here, I lowered the punch of the snare 1db with Oxford Envolution or else the punch would have been even harder.. I haven't gone into sample replacement on the songs in the forum but my instinct says "brush snare".. the bass part is played hard so I figured it was the artist intention to have the bass lead the rhythm.. Along with the snare dictating the body of the mix a bit harder whereas a brush snare would dictate a more mellow mix delivery...

I feel these levels of decisions move into song production.. Such as the horns and drums being replaced with something like Komplete 10 sounds etc.. That's a TON of work but in a serious high-stakes mixing situation of a song like this it would have to be done..
I noticed you have both Raven and Softube Console. Can they be used at the same time? Which one you prefer? Or do you still end up using mouse?
(10-02-2016, 07:14 AM)Olli H Wrote: I noticed you have both Raven and Softube Console. Can they be used at the same time? Which one you prefer? Or do you still end up using mouse?

They can be used at the same time.. It's brilliant the way it all works.. The Console 1 has a button on it that presents a top window overlay so it sits above the Raven controls.. I use a mix of Raven controls and a Kensington Slimball which is recommended for the Raven in the manual.

I only use the Console 1 for the drive of the 4000 or 9000 which IMO sounds the most accurate to the consoles out of all the plug options.. I'm not using the eq/compressors/mix controls in the Console 1 most of the time though on Hip Hop/R&B/Pop I'll use the 9000 emu to do most of the mix.