Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Patrick Talbot - Upper Hand (M&F)
(31-01-2016, 07:42 AM)Digitaldruglord Wrote: Then you mix the song the way you want to hear it.. the files are there.. there will be a zillion versions of this song posted here.. no one here is making money so no one needs to jump through hoops over every 1 or 2 different comments (opinions).. And sure enough a mixer will pass it to someone else because there's a million different ways this song can sound.. its up to the artist/producer to pick what they like, no one is going to wait for a mixer to deliver, they go to a person they feel comfortable with.. or else 1 guy would be mixing every record in the world..

Sure enough I would tell the client I refuse to make anything less than my sound and they would have to go somewhere else.. You can kill yourself working for a client looking for a unicorn, thats on you.

Constructive comments here I've found come from the guys who mixes I find are great, and I accept those comments with honor.. the insults come from insecure mixers.. who mixes sound like amuture bedroom demos... likely speaking from a bit of jealousy over my signature... Since you always find issue in my post, from now on you can simply skip my postings.. right?

I'm not gonna skip no posts. I will listen to your mixes if I want. Here and there I have commented your posts with good comments. Sure I have found bad things about some.. but so have other people. If you don't like it when people point at things you do wrong in your mix, don't post your mixes.. (that doesn't sound good does it?) so don't tell me to skip a post over my "opinion".

I'll stick to my "amature mixes" by the way dude.. Everything I do.. I do it in a 2007 computer and I use headphones to mix... jealous of your signature? why because you have all that equipment? that equipment is useless if your mixes end up clipping and distorting.

having said that have a good day man Smile
There ya go.If you don't like truthful feedback you shouldn't be on the forum

.mp3    upper hand.mp3 --  (Download: 10.27 MB)

(31-01-2016, 09:44 AM)takka360 Wrote: There ya go.If you don't like truthful feedback you shouldn't be on the forum

Truthful feedback and insults are 2 different things, you threw an insult. Please explain what is different about your mix from the mix the artist himself posted on soundcloud.. its the same mix?!?

In the UK that safe mix style works ok.. In America, low energy music gets ignored..
M1 Pro MBP: is my Hattori Hanzo.
This is my mix and I didn't insult you at all.I haven't heard pats mix for months .
(31-01-2016, 02:12 PM)takka360 Wrote: This is my mix and I didn't insult you at all.I haven't heard pats mix for months .

I personally have no problems with your mix.. Pat's comments were constructive, and made sense.. He made constructive comments even after the adjustments, I accept that.. You went Gearslutz bravado.. This is an educational forum, if someone makes a mistake in a mix (for instance) here that's ok, because it's an educational forum.. You don't judge a prize fighter's ability for getting knocked down in a sparing session while trying out new techniques.. Sparring is practice and this forum is practice..

This is not Gearslutz so insulting someone's "ability" is not warranted.. And for that I'm not going to insult your mix of this song because it's decent, it's not my preference for what I do (aggressive mixing, sense of depth) but I stand by my work, and stand by the $200 should this thread (according to the term) determine your version is favored..
Well if you insist lets see what people have to say
I'll not comment about mix style and approach 'cause it's all about personal taste
Technically the mix sounds a tad overprocessed and unbalanced for a mastered mix
You have too much 60hz, 3.2khz and 9 khz. This means that it can sounds very different on different system

Eq the master just to experimenting this changes effect

3.2khz is the "harsh" area, try to smooth it and you'll obtain a warmer mix preserving all the power you want

Just try and let us know
(02-02-2016, 10:25 AM)DaveDaG Wrote: I'll not comment about mix style and approach 'cause it's all about personal taste
Technically the mix sounds a tad overprocessed and unbalanced for a mastered mix
You have too much 60hz, 3.2khz and 9 khz. This means that it can sounds very different on different system

Eq the master just to experimenting this changes effect

3.2khz is the "harsh" area, try to smooth it and you'll obtain a warmer mix preserving all the power you want

Just try and let us know

thanks, good feedback. I used LANDR on this just as a silent test of the service to see the feedback response and sure enough you caught it.. When i get back to the station, ill take these points into my own mastering chain..
(31-01-2016, 08:10 AM)Shul Wrote:
(31-01-2016, 07:42 AM)Digitaldruglord Wrote: Then you mix the song the way you want to hear it.. the files are there.. there will be a zillion versions of this song posted here.. no one here is making money so no one needs to jump through hoops over every 1 or 2 different comments (opinions).. And sure enough a mixer will pass it to someone else because there's a million different ways this song can sound.. its up to the artist/producer to pick what they like, no one is going to wait for a mixer to deliver, they go to a person they feel comfortable with.. or else 1 guy would be mixing every record in the world..

Sure enough I would tell the client I refuse to make anything less than my sound and they would have to go somewhere else.. You can kill yourself working for a client looking for a unicorn, thats on you.

Constructive comments here I've found come from the guys who mixes I find are great, and I accept those comments with honor.. the insults come from insecure mixers.. who mixes sound like amuture bedroom demos... likely speaking from a bit of jealousy over my signature... Since you always find issue in my post, from now on you can simply skip my postings.. right?

I'm not gonna skip no posts. I will listen to your mixes if I want. Here and there I have commented your posts with good comments. Sure I have found bad things about some.. but so have other people. If you don't like it when people point at things you do wrong in your mix, don't post your mixes.. (that doesn't sound good does it?) so don't tell me to skip a post over my "opinion".

I'll stick to my "amature mixes" by the way dude.. Everything I do.. I do it in a 2007 computer and I use headphones to mix... jealous of your signature? why because you have all that equipment? that equipment is useless if your mixes end up clipping and distorting.

having said that have a good day man Smile

Unless you're using premium cans that can handle at least 300Ω most high volume material is going to distort. For MP3s and general 16-bit audio you may get a decent signal response but if you attempt to listen to anything mastered in 24-bit (aka High Rez) and you don't have the listening power to accommodate the bandwidth, or even a DAC that can properly play back 24 bit.. its not going to work. My work is for 24-bit capable gear.. high-end (and high powered) audiophile playback environments.
Since you got so technical and last time you ignored my question regarding this I took the liberty to find this. Learned a few things my self Smile

Originally Posted by majkel View Post
1) The Nyquist theorem does not include amplitude quantization meaning infinite resolution, so it doesn't discuss quantization effects at all.
2) There is no audio system in the world giving more than 20 clear bits of signal due to resistance and semiconductor noise chracteristics.
3) You cannot "recreate" a single thing by dithering, just make it sounding more natural to the ears, especially when using noise shaping filters for the dither signal.
4) It's not true ADC's do any dithering. Some of them do some lowpass filtering with noise shaping involved when delta-sigma type which happens not for the dithering purposes but for the signal itself.
5) You cannot increase dynamic range by dithering.
6) It's not dynamics killing people and affecting hearing but sound pressure with the given numbers of 140dB = pain, 160~180dB = death, respectively. You can listen to the signal with the 144dB dynamics not exceeding safe sound pressure limits, just set the volume appropriately. Sure, you won't hear the bottom of your dynamic range then.

1. True.
2. True. Most people believe that their 24bit DAC is actually a 24bit DAC, just marketing I'm afraid.
3. True. Dithering is just a process which should be used whenever a quantisation or re-quantisation is performed, to convert quantisation errors into un-correlated noise.
4. This one is not true. All ADCs use dither. Some 24bit ADCs use self-dither, in other words because the digital noise floor is so low (-144dB) the noise generated by their own internal components is enough to dither, but one way or another, they all dither. Also, all ADCs use a low-pass brick wall filter (anti-alias filter). Noise-shaped dither is not and should never be used in an ADC or when mixing. As the recorded channels are mixed the re-distributed noise is summed and can cause problems. The only time noise-shaped dither should be applied is during the last quantisation process. This usually means when converting the 24bit master from the recording studio into 16bit for CD release.
5. Sort of true. In an absolute sense CD has 96dB dynamic range, however if we move the noise that is down at the -96dB level to areas of the hearing spectrum where we are less sensitive (for example below 60Hz or above 12kHz). This gives a perceived improvement of dynamic range for 16bit. Bob Katz, the leading expert, reckons that about 120dB is the perceived dynamic range achievable with today's dithering technology.
6. True. Though of course by turning down your amp and not hearing the quietest sounds, then you are not hearing all the detail or the whole dynamic range, so it rather defeats the whole purpose of more dynamic range (more bits) in the first place.

If I'm listening to your mix at low or mid level and it distorts.. Then there is a problem.