Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Corine Corine - First Time Mix
Hell all,
my name is George! This is my first post here so nice to meet you all! Smile

This is my first attempt to mix Jazz and my third mix in total. I am coming from a rock background so my Jazz musical knowledge is practically non existent.

In addition, I only used stock plugins that came with my DAW for this mix. I was afraid to process much so I kept things pretty simple trying to take advantage of the room mics as much as I could.

Enjoy and thank you in advance for your feedback and advice! Smile

.mp3    Corine_Corine_44.1_24_mix V2.mp3 --  (Download: 6.32 MB)

.mp3    Corine_Corine_44.1_24_mix.mp3 --  (Download: 6.32 MB)

Your mix sounds pretty good. The only thing I can think to really tell you to try is bus every thing to an aux track and run everything through a reverb with just a slight delay. Big bands were typically recorded in a large room using a Decca tree configuration so running everything through a reverb and a slight delay will help you emulate how they did things back in the 30's and 40's.

(29-01-2016, 12:45 AM)gkallergis Wrote: Hell all,
my name is George! This is my first post here so nice to meet you all! Smile

This is my first attempt to mix Jazz and my third mix in total. I am coming from a rock background so my Jazz musical knowledge is practically non existent.

In addition, I only used stock plugins that came with my DAW for this mix. I was afraid to process much so I kept things pretty simple trying to take advantage of the room mics as much as I could.

Enjoy and thank you in advance for your feedback and advice! Smile

(29-01-2016, 08:09 AM)Ohbeejuan Wrote: Your mix sounds pretty good. The only thing I can think to really tell you to try is bus every thing to an aux track and run everything through a reverb with just a slight delay. Big bands were typically recorded in a large room using a Decca tree configuration so running everything through a reverb and a slight delay will help you emulate how they did things back in the 30's and 40's.

Thank you very much for the advice! Smile

I have everything going through a reverb (except for the kick and overhead mics), but I have that really low. I uploaded a new version with a much more noticeable reverb to represent the roominess of the recording as you said.

What I had in mind was a more of an underground bar recording! You know the medieval ones that are not so roomy Big Grin

Thanks again!