Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Too Bright--RidcullyLives Mix
Here it is! I actually had a lot of fun with this track. I wanted it to be super dynamic and for that first chorus to come in with real power, so I played a lot with volume automation.

I found that his voice actually had a really nice tonality in the verses when I played with some sharp EQ cuts.

This is unmastered, so turn your volume up (but watch out for that chorus...hehe)

.mp3    Too Bright_v1_RLMix.mp3 --  (Download: 6.57 MB)

(28-01-2016, 05:15 AM)ridcullylives Wrote: Here it is! I actually had a lot of fun with this track. I wanted it to be super dynamic and for that first chorus to come in with real power, so I played a lot with volume automation.

I found that his voice actually had a really nice tonality in the verses when I played with some sharp EQ cuts.

This is unmastered, so turn your volume up (but watch out for that chorus...hehe)

I like how you treat the vocals in the verses but in the chorus they get a little sibilant possibly around 2-3khz, They stand out in a nice way though mostly but there is just a slight harshness which I think is in the stems to start with. Theres a little too much distortion for my taste in a few parts. The pad and the rhodes in particular. The snare seems to get lost slightly towards the end of the verses too. A slight boost at around 3-5K would probably fix this.
Drum are mostly nice n punchy though in general, they have a sweet electro feel to them.

The chorus seems a little too loud in comparison to the verse, there does seem to be a little too much low end too, there are points where the limiting/compression gets a little too easy to spot and the bass and hi hats come too much to the front of the mix. You could try to eq cutting off gently from around 50 hertz and try using a low pass at 200 hertz on the master just to get the kick and bass sitting really well together then take it off again.
I love what you did with the breakdown at around 3.10 with the rhodes/synth sound and the guitars after. Sounds silky and pleasant. I think you should try and match that tone for the whole track, it would sound awesome!

Pretty cool mix overall though man, keep it up!
(29-01-2016, 04:20 AM)HypnoticDesign Wrote:
(28-01-2016, 05:15 AM)ridcullylives Wrote: Here it is! I actually had a lot of fun with this track. I wanted it to be super dynamic and for that first chorus to come in with real power, so I played a lot with volume automation.

I like how you treat the vocals in the verses but in the chorus they get a little sibilant possibly around 2-3khz, They stand out in a nice way though mostly but there is just a slight harshness which I think is in the stems to start with. Theres a little too much distortion for my taste in a few parts. The pad and the rhodes in particular. The snare seems to get lost slightly towards the end of the verses too. A slight boost at around 3-5K would probably fix this.
Drum are mostly nice n punchy though in general, they have a sweet electro feel to them.

The chorus seems a little too loud in comparison to the verse, there does seem to be a little too much low end too, there are points where the limiting/compression gets a little too easy to spot and the bass and hi hats come too much to the front of the mix. You could try to eq cutting off gently from around 50 hertz and try using a low pass at 200 hertz on the master just to get the kick and bass sitting really well together then take it off again.
I love what you did with the breakdown at around 3.10 with the rhodes/synth sound and the guitars after. Sounds silky and pleasant. I think you should try and match that tone for the whole track, it would sound awesome!

Pretty cool mix overall though man, keep it up!

Thanks dude, appreciate your detailed feedback and your kind words. I agree listening back that the loudness jump to the chorus is way too much. I think honestly the first verse should be close to the second verse in volume.

For the choruses I was actually trying to make the compression kind of obvious...I had a lot of sidechaining to the kick going on so it would have that kind of dance/electro sound. But you're right that the low end kind of overpowers things...I had some bass enhancers to keep the low end from dropping out from the verse to the chorus, but maybe I went overboard?

Thanks again!