Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Maggie May my mix
My attempt to mix this song.

.mp3    DLR_mix.mp3 --  (Download: 6.48 MB)

Greetings!

I haven't listened to any other versions of this song as yet so I have nothing to compare your version to, but I can say that this version could be played right away on some of our independent radio stations here in Melbourne which play a lot of roots, blues and so forth. Well done, indeed!

Vocals are at a comfortable level above the instruments, everything can be heard clearly, instruments are well blended.

My own personal taste would have the bass and kick just a little bit louder in the mix to fill out the low end, and it could be my lack of experience with this genre but maybe....just maybe......the cymbals in the song and the hihat which kicks in at 1:47 are a bit little loud in their balance with the rest of the drum kit.

But the mix I'm hearing is pretty much what I'd expect to hear if I was watching the band in a small venue with an underpowered PA system that could only manage to handle the vocals, but the band knew what they were doing in terms of setting their instrument levels accordingly Smile
I like that you have used a different not so obvious room effect for the lead vocals (or did you just send less of the lead vocal to the same reverb?) and put the rest of the band back a little way back in a larger room.
Overall it's a pretty convincing mix.

Nice work DLR!
Dags
So many songs, so little time!
Hey Dags, thank you for your review. I agree, bass and kick could be little louder, and about vocal - I used 3 revs (plate, hall, spread) and for instruments I used a bit of plate or/and hall.

It is my 3. mix ever, so it's nice to hear positive review.

Thank you Dags

(My thanks also goes to Fab Dupont - for nice mixing tutorials and lessons Smile )