Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
It's much tooooo briiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiaaaiiiiight
Hey, I just found this site yesterday, I've been missing out! So many awesome mix's to practice with!
I wanted to stay faithful to the original while enhancing it and adding to the vibes that were already there. There is quite a lot of eq and as you can probably tell.. a ton of reverb Smile but thats the sound I like, hope you do too!

.mp3    wayyy toooo briiiight.mp3 --  (Download: 10.55 MB)

Hey man, nice mix! I'll take it as I go and make some comments.

The opening is great; the rhodes sounds great and warm.
There's a buildup in the voice around...800hz maybe? Makes it sound a bit muddy and nasal.
The drums sound great.
The bass is a bit muddy and indistinct mixing with the Rhodes--maybe play with some selective EQing to distinguish them a bit more.
The verse guitar is super mono, which is making it really pop
Chorus drop is powerful. Awesome!
Think the RhodesSFX might be a bit loud in the chorus.
There's a weird resonance/room reverb on the chorus vocals that's really hurting it blending in in the choruses. There's also a big low-mids buildup that's making it sound muddy...especially that pad.
Second verse sounds really nice, except that pad is maybe a bit too dark.
The guitar in the bridge section needs some HP filtering, I think--it's almost inaudible.

Overall, really nice, although there's definitely some issues in the low mids throughout.
I just posted my own version of the mix, would love your feedback!

PS, yup this website is freakin' amazing!!
(28-01-2016, 05:30 AM)ridcullylives Wrote: Hey man, nice mix! I'll take it as I go and make some comments.

The opening is great; the rhodes sounds great and warm.
There's a buildup in the voice around...800hz maybe? Makes it sound a bit muddy and nasal.
The drums sound great.
The bass is a bit muddy and indistinct mixing with the Rhodes--maybe play with some selective EQing to distinguish them a bit more.
The verse guitar is super mono, which is making it really pop
Chorus drop is powerful. Awesome!
Think the RhodesSFX might be a bit loud in the chorus.
There's a weird resonance/room reverb on the chorus vocals that's really hurting it blending in in the choruses. There's also a big low-mids buildup that's making it sound muddy...especially that pad.
Second verse sounds really nice, except that pad is maybe a bit too dark.
The guitar in the bridge section needs some HP filtering, I think--it's almost inaudible.

Overall, really nice, although there's definitely some issues in the low mids throughout.
I just posted my own version of the mix, would love your feedback!

PS, yup this website is freakin' amazing!!

Hey! Thanks for the feedback!
I tend to do this a lot, boosting fundamentals a little too much. I think my ears just favour that 300-400 hertz region when I work on something for too long at a time.
Low mid buildup is almost definitely the reverb though. I normally eq verbs but I guess I forgot here. The rhodes seemed to get lost when I lowered the volume. The vocals are taking up part of the same space and cutting out either of them just didn't sound right.
Honestly, I love that resonant reverb sound on these vocals in particular (thought I should have probably eq'd it a little), I did a lot of automation for the volume of it though with the old mouse and theres probably just too much going into the send at a few moments in it. The distorted guitar seemed a little too harsh.. I was considering just leaving it out all together, instead I left it in there and just eq'd it a lot so it was more of an added texture than an instrument.

Thanks again for the feedback buddy, Ill have to go back to the mix and polish it a little.