Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 2.5 Average
WHYDTM
Folks,
Prior to posting this I listened to a large number of the submissions here and I have been impressed by the different approaches I have heard on just about every mix. And not a bad one in the bunch. Truly impressive work. I must say mine is rather mundane compared to some of the creative slants. However, it has some merit. What is amazing is how different all of the parts can be in the song, from very open drums to highly produced and tight with guitar parts matching in modification and tonal balance. Anyway, I hope you enjoy my take.

.mp3    Signe Jakobsen.mp3 --  (Download: 2.53 MB)

PreSonus Studio One DAW
[email protected]
Nice. Your mix is tight and flows together really well. I feel like the drums could use more room reverb and I'd probably take everything at the end and run it through a single reverb just to cement everything together a bit better. Other that that it sounds good.
(22-01-2016, 08:16 AM)Ohbeejuan Wrote: Nice. Your mix is tight and flows together really well. I feel like the drums could use more room reverb and I'd probably take everything at the end and run it through a single reverb just to cement everything together a bit better. Other that that it sounds good.

Mr. Kanohbee,
Thanks for your thoughts. I used very little effects within this song, saving them only for the lead vocals, the background vocals and one guitar line. I felt the drums had plenty of room character already without the addition of more. The drums were hardly touched for content. I tried several approaches to the drums and after all of it I found that leaving them mostly untouched worked best especially considering their subjugation and support to the the very thick guitars parts and vocals. I have in the past used an inserted room for an over-all mix and may revisit that here, maybe with the drum buss and/or the instrument buss or the entire mix. It may result in some interesting space.

There is a lot you could do with the instruments in this song. Listening to other mixes in the thread finds some very unique approaches, all of which have merit. I get the feeling a lot of replacement parts were substituted for the drums in many mixes considering the wide range of treatments. I wondered how mixers were getting such divergent drum sounds from some pretty raw recordings with tons of bleed in every mic. This bleed I used as ambiance for the drums without a need to add more or to manipulate the drums so drastically as to change their content entirely. That seemed to me to be counter to the character of the song and the intent of the artist. Considering I have no idea what the intent of the artist would be, I used what was presented as faithfully as possible to create my musical interpretation.
PreSonus Studio One DAW
[email protected]
Hello there!

Balance is good but I feel the drums are to far back. The delays on the vocals are very cool but to a point I found it distracting in the verses.

this is good thought Wink
(22-01-2016, 08:08 AM)Mixinthecloud Wrote: Folks,
Prior to posting this I listen to a large number of the submissions here and I have been impressed by the different approaches I have heard on just about every mix. And not a bad one in the bunch. Truly impressive work. I must sayine is rather mundane compared to some of the creative slants. However, it has some merit and my own take on it as well. What is amazing is how different all of the parts can be in the song, from very open drums to highly produced and tight with guitar parts matching in modification and tonal balance. Anyway, I hope you enjoy my take.

It's nice but I don't really think the vocal needs so much fx on it
(16-03-2016, 12:18 AM)andrew0v Wrote:
(22-01-2016, 08:08 AM)Mixinthecloud Wrote: Folks,
Prior to posting this I listen to a large number of the submissions here and I have been impressed by the different approaches I have heard on just about every mix. And not a bad one in the bunch. Truly impressive work. I must say mine is rather mundane compared to some of the creative slants. However, it has some merit. What is amazing is how different all of the parts can be in the song, from very open drums to highly produced and tight with guitar parts matching in modification and tonal balance. Anyway, I hope you enjoy my take.

It's nice but I don't really think the vocal needs so much fx on it

That is a common refrain from other listeners. And I agree. At some point I may bet around to remixing this. Thanks for your comments.
PreSonus Studio One DAW
[email protected]
Hi there !

Agree with my mates, way too much fx on vocals. The delay you used is very interesting, but use it with parsimony.
Drums have a nice sound, but sounds behind the rest (or maybe it's the vocals which are too much in front ?).

Keep it up !
(24-05-2016, 05:43 PM)Mandubien Wrote: Hi there !

Agree with my mates, way too much fx on vocals. The delay you used is very interesting, but use it with parsimony.
Drums have a nice sound, but sounds behind the rest (or maybe it's the vocals which are too much in front ?).

Keep it up !

This is not one of my favorite mixes and eventually I may get around to a redo. Yes. The echo on the vocal is not the best treatment.
PreSonus Studio One DAW
[email protected]
Finally got around to doing a remix on this one. As my tool box grows it is fun to come back and redo things.

My biggest problem with this song, and I believe what many mixers struggled with were the drums. Tons of leakage and a set of over heads that are more like room mics. Finding a good balance from those sources which also lays with the guitars and vocals is a real challenge, especially if you do not want to replace any parts with samples, which I tend to avoid. Lots of dynamics through the song also makes it a tougher get. Finding clarity with lead parts and a good environment for ensembles was what I worked on most with the new mix.

I know many listeners did not like the level of the echo I had on the lead vocal. That was addressed, however the character of the effect stayed the same.

.mp3    Signe Jackson - What Have You done to Me.mp3 --  (Download: 6.31 MB)

PreSonus Studio One DAW
[email protected]