Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Directions - Dags mix
Hi all
Sorry I have been absent - daddy duties all week.
I have a lot of listening to catch up on!

So, here's my go at 'Directions', and I have steered a course towards a drier, more intimate vocal and acoustic guitar mix using Mike's tiny room technique - actually a combination of a couple of different intimate 'spaces' for vox and guitars. Tried to make it sound like they were recorded in your listening environment with no obvious reverb wash.

I have a longer plate reverb tucked away for backing vox and some other elements, and I have a plate reverb directly on the overheads, but brought waaay down, just to tickle them into the background a bit.
Probably makes not much difference to the overall result but I thought I'd see how it pans out.

Made a production decision to scoop all the low end frequencies of the main acoustic guitars and bass guitar to get rid of the low end boom that was happening when they are playing together so the low end isn't rumbling in this mix, which suits the style of the song. I also radically removed low end in the electric guitars for the same reason, and they now comfortably sit an octave above the bass line.

Pretty happy with this mix, but there's undoubtedly room for improvement.
So let me know where and how!

Dags

.mp3    Directions - Dags mix.mp3 --  (Download: 6.51 MB)

So many songs, so little time!
Nice this Dags i cant find fault at all with my ears.
Very good job.
G'day Dags.
Mikes tiny room techique worked.
The mix Sounds lovely.

Please Help Mike Keep This Awesome Educational Site Alive And Become A patron !
https://www.patreon.com/CambridgeMT/posts

Great mix!
To mix or not to mix ... mix!
Nice mix Dags!I should point though that bass and guitar are crash at 150hz!
It is really weird how they record the acoustic with such eq..
I love low end and i love 100 hz on guitars bat that is way to much...
Any way well done Dags!Big Grin
I love the sound of your mix! well done!!
I like this mix very much. Good balance all through. And main thing: the size of the mix is in very good accordance with the song.

Just one thing came to my mind. You could try 1-2dB more the ambience reverb with vocals. So that nothing changes in your basic idea, but the vocals could be slightly more connected to the same room as other instruments.

Great job!