Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Zeno Signs baschdi's mix
Hello everyone Smile

This is my first attempt to mix Zeno's beautiful song "Signs".
Thank you for even opening this thread and listening to the mix, and thank you even more, if you leave a comment/criticism/opinions on my mix. To make it a bit more competitive in terms of loudness, i "mastered" my mix a bit. This isnt by far what i would call a professional master, it was basically just "make it loud" while trying to keep the character of my mix and the song as best as i could.

Greets, baschdi

.mp3    Zeno_Signs_baschdi_mix1.mp3 --  (Download: 8.55 MB)

A very well put together mix. I noted the extensive use of automation at several points on reverbs, panning and volume -- i.e on the base guitar fills. My initial thought was that there was a lack of glue in the first verse, but it filled in on the chorus (so probably deliberate there). Nice control of dynamics into the breakdown and final chorus. Only aspect that may be worth a look at is the processing on the drums, they didn't quite fit with the rest of the mix -- as that was quite processed/polished, the drums sounded a bit more organic. (But that might, also, be deliberate in terms of your choice of style!). Cheers, Jeff
All sound is a distortion of silence / soundcloud.com/jeffd42
Hi Jeff,

thank you for listening to the mix and for your very precise feedback. The drums, especially in the chorus when the drummer uses a lot of cymbals, were giving me a hard time Smile Now that you also noticed them being sort of "different" compared to the rest of the mix, ill try to make them fit a bit better. My intention was to keep them feel like a real drum kit while still having the controlled (techincal) dynamics of a drum machine. While mixing, i had the sound of early Muse albums (Absolution) in mind, because the band/song reminded me of them... and.... well... i didnt quite get there yet Smile

Greets, baschdi