Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ambitions-AllHandsLost-DEAR LORD THE FRUSTRATION!!!!!
If you have mixed this song before.. you know THE STRUGGLE IS REAL!
If you are new to mixing.. stay away from this session till further experience.

I started off thinking, what could possibly go wrong?
Answer: EVERYTHING!

Bass: dynamics are bad that they get lost in the mix when you want them to stand out.. and they resonate when you don't want it to.
Drums!!Sadthe struggle) bleeds everywhere and unwanted resonance. I had to sample kick snare and toms to try and get a better overall sound for the mix and i'm still not happy with it but I just got tired of going through the samples without finding the sound i was looking for (because of how it sounds all together) so i took the most pleasant to my ears.
Guitars: It sounds like they were recorded on different days and they forgot to put the same settings as previous session. Eqs are different to try and match. They were the least of my worries.
Vocals: same with the dynamics and intelligibility. When is it too much automation? At the end of the day I decided to leave it be as I had already went through too much with drums. and doubling some vocals, i didn't want to automate vocals and bass. Just got help of Compressor and doubling on some sections.

Having said that The texture of the guitars are very tiring to the ear after a good hour. My mind would get foggy before acomplishing what i was looking for. So i decided to leave all delays and reverbs and automations here and there as is. It still doesn't sound like I would want to, but I'll leave this song alone for a while.

It's like cooking.. bad ingredients = bad food ... bad recording = bad mix. Gears and instruments can only do so much.. its 90% us and 10% gear/instrument.

I tried to the best of my abilities, I could have done a few work arounds but I'm moving on to a different song and come back to this one after a rest of it. If you faced this song before leave your thoughts and comments, it'd be interesting to find out what you guys struggled the most with.

P.s. take everything i said as a personal belief. it doesn't mean things are like that, it just means they are like that for me. Also I know there are details here and there.. My mastering tried to polish my own mix but wow was it hard to do. :S

anyways here is my mix.

.mp3    Ambitions-AllHandsLost-ShulsMix.mp3 --  (Download: 11.81 MB)