Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Devils Word (Jan 2021 RE-Mix)
When i listen to these i can hear you clearly have monitor problems
(13-01-2021, 06:24 PM)takka360 Wrote: When i listen to these i can hear you clearly have monitor problems
Something I forgot to mention is the three mixes were done on separate monitoring. The first one was done with krk headphones, second mix with makies mr5 monitors and the current one on dt880s.

Im curious, where is the room problem? Do I have too much build up in certain freq range?
Its just the balance ,i only listened to the third mix.but to me it just sounds like you couldn't hear what you was doing properly. Good monitoring can be a game changer but so many people don't bother and carry on trying to mix on their nans hi fi speakers lol, and just continue in the same circle for years on end.I would take them dt880s back mate
(13-01-2021, 07:44 PM)takka360 Wrote: Its just the balance ,i only listened to the third mix.but to me it just sounds like you couldn't hear what you was doing properly. Good monitoring can be a game changer but so many people don't bother and carry on trying to mix on their nans hi fi speakers lol, and just continue in the same circle for years on end.I would take them dt880s back mate
What would you change in the balance? Usually when people say reference on the monitoring they mean I have an issue in the frequencies,either I boosted too much or I cut too much, balancing has very little to Do with frequency response as you can have a nasty balance with no eq and someone that can balance properly will have a pretty good balance without eq. Without any processing actually. So what would you change in my track balance wise.

Dt880 are pretty solid, I live in appartments and to buy a monitoring system without proper acoustic treatment is a WASTE of money as you would not take full advantage of your system.
Its hard for me to explain mate its just all wrong and needs addressing because its holding you back i think.
Play that last mix of your in a car or on some small multimedia speakers and you will hear what im saying.
Mike could possibly steer you right to your problems .Ask him for his opinion on it
Hi,

Interesting...

I do have a pair of the 250 ohm DT880 pro, but I didn't get on with them at all for mixing and I recall that I did find them really quite confusing.

Comparing your mix (DevilsW.mp3) with the library one, it is kind of muffled sounding, I suppose, is the best way to describe it.  Especially the guitar.  It is kind of in balance with itself though, which is why it sounds a little odd I think. 

Using the library mix for comparison it's like it is missing about 7db at 3k or something perhaps? but it's a bit more complex than that, if you listen to the lower mids, and 8k, etc.   I do think there's perhaps something a bit odd going on between say 1 and 8k.

Test file attached - first is your mix, then the library mix, etc, which certainly highlights the differences between the two anyway, if nothing else.

Interested to know what you think, and also if takka thinks I am somewhere in the ballpark regarding my thoughts on this.  It would be useful to get some more opinions.

Cheers!

.mp3    test.mp3 --  (Download: 910.2 KB)

Just uploaded a mix/master?  Waiting for comments? Why not give back and critique a mix/master, or two!
There ya go, you have hit the nail on the head how far out he actually is
Ah I see what you mean. Yes I did a cut around the 3ish K amd a couple more freq. on the guitars. That's it. I understand this being a frequency problem however, has nothing to do with the balance taka was mentioning.

I don't really listen to mix reference much. What I do most of the time is pick an actual hit song as a reference or something that assimilates the song.

This was my reference
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=RvnkAtWcKYg

As you can hear, is absolutely nothing like the reference mix of this song. My fault though, I really thought I'd get away with a dirty trashy guitar tone. Also I hate the fact that if you play really bright mixes on say earpods or cheap headphones or speakers It can get really fatiguing really fast.

I will fix the guitar tones as now 2 people are in agreement it's very muffled.
Hi,

I'm currently listening on earbuds, but have checked your reference mix. I think you can keep the guitar grungy, but I feel you need to brighten up the drums and vocal some, if I compare your mix with the Paramore track. What do you think?

Cheers!
Just uploaded a mix/master?  Waiting for comments? Why not give back and critique a mix/master, or two!
Hi!

The guitar is about right, but the mix (DevilsWBright) is still a little on the dull side for me, especially the vocals. 

I've attached a short clip, along with the eq curve I applied on the master bus, which I hope will explain things a bit better.  The eq is automated in and out during the clip.  It's about 3db at 1,3 and 10k. 

Again, I hope takka and others can check out the clip and say what they think.  It's not exactly perfect, but I did spend some time on it, as I am all too aware of the dangers of giving people wrong advice so a second opinion is always appreciated.

Cheers!

Thumbnail(s)

.mp3    test2.mp3 --  (Download: 1.89 MB)