Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What I Want
I choose

I edited the KD, Toms and SN Bot to remove the bleed from the kit because I didn't want too much cymbal smearing.

I choose the Copperhead mics for the OH because of there darker quality and I didn't want to fight the harshness caused by the rides bell.

U47 for Bass cab

AK-47 GTR
M80 GTR
U47 GTR RM

U47 LD VOX
U47 Chorus VOX
U47 BGV1
C12 BGV2

The breakdown was a challenge because the tones are homogeneous and they didn't yield a lot of power for the transition to have the effect I would of liked them to have.

So I duplicate all three trks and cut out the section for the breakdown so I wouldn't have to automate a ton of effects or eqing and made my adjustments accordingly.

I did the same for the Bass in the section as well and added Izotopes Trash2 to mimic the effected pianos timbre.

I kept the VOX relatively dry with the exception of the BGV which had Manny Marroquin stereo delay with 1/4 note to the left and 1/2 note to the right repeating only once, hardly noticeable but adds a little warmth and body to the delivery.

I parallel compressed the drums and automated up the compression for the breakdown section.

I used parallel compression across the entire mix using the SS VTM to glue together the mix.

On my master buss I used VCC solid state with Bomber/VBC/Eiosis EQ

After I printed that mix I did the final limiting in Post using Izotopes Finalmix limiter and outboard VLA II/Aphex aural exciter/BBE sonic max, very transparent processing.

This session was recorded extremely well and performed equally well.

This song is trite and cliche and boring, but a good example to test your mixing skills to see how you measure up to commercially produced material.

When else are you going to have access to million dollar studio session files?

Now here's this compressed MP3 file....

.mp3    What I Want_Post.mp3 --  (Download: 8.77 MB)

.mp3    What I Want More KD.mp3 --  (Download: 8.73 MB)

My Original Music

"One often learns more from ten days of agony than ten years of contentment."

Pro Tools 12.6/Studio One 3 Pro
Studiolive 16 Series III
Yamaha HS5/HS8
Console 1