Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Non Lo Diro Col Labbro - Shul
This Might be a short song... but it was really challenging.
Even though I like classical music, is not my favorite to listen to.
Even worse, I don't know much about the variety of instruments and #s you need to put up an orchestra. I can only imagine what is like to record(hard part) and mix down a full orchestra.

Anyways here is my mix. There were a couple of spots that had some mistakes from the musicians. I got rid of that however the noise in the back is very hard to remove. Non the less this was a good recording.

I did read Mike Senior's post (its his recording by the way). Phase problems are a challenge as it takes away some of the original solidness of the instruments. But he did use two stereo recording techniques. I panned the high strings and low strings R & L and to my ears they fit good. He said he put some delays on the strings to match his ORTF miking. To be honest I didn't hear no phase issues(at least not apparent to the ear as whole, maybe my ear is not trained to spot that yet)

Bottom line I wanted my mix to have some warmth without losing the brightness. Used compression on the voice to smooth the singing at his/her peaks. Multiband comp on the resonance of the cello to keep it from overwhelming the mix. Reverb makes wonders when you work with it a bit.

I hope you feel a lil piece of Heavenly sound with a pinch of relaxation in it Smile

P.S. feel free to leave your feedback, maybe is too bright, maybe is too harsh. let me know what you think.

Update: I noticed there is a part where the vocals clip. Gotta fix that next time around after i'm done with a different mix. I was also told it's too bright. I gotta listen more to classical music before mixing another one like this.

.mp3    Non Lo Diro Col Labro-Mixed by Shul.mp3 --  (Download: 5.37 MB)

Hi Shul,
This is a tough one, so well done for having a go!
I'm not sure I'm really "qualified" here to be too critical but I will try.

I'm not familiar with this piece or the multi's but first of all, I'm hearing what I think is a harpsichord which is sounding very dominate and almost fatiguing. It's kind of upsetting your softer ambient sound. The other stand out for me is a miss match with the reverb. There is a lovely ambience to the vocal performance that's not present within the orchestra which is placing the singer to the back of the stage. The harpsichord in this respect is almost jumping out of the speakers. I think if you could marry the performance together with some reverb choices you will be well on the way.

Anyway, as I said, well done for attempting this one, you have done quite well. I hope to have a go at these tracks myself one day if I ever get good enough. They are really good ear training exercises I believe.

Dave
Hello Shul!Applause)) Harp totally authentic!
Nice work! Maybe you should seat the musicians across the stage?

(13-05-2016, 02:14 PM)Konek Wrote: Hello Shul!Applause)) Harp totally authentic!
Nice work! Maybe you should seat the musicians across the stage?

Hello

Thanks Smile

I agree. I should fit the grid of instruments using the stereo mics on stage and see how they sound.
(13-05-2016, 09:50 AM)Dangerous Wrote: Hi Shul,
This is a tough one, so well done for having a go!
I'm not sure I'm really "qualified" here to be too critical but I will try.

I'm not familiar with this piece or the multi's but first of all, I'm hearing what I think is a harpsichord which is sounding very dominate and almost fatiguing. It's kind of upsetting your softer ambient sound. The other stand out for me is a miss match with the reverb. There is a lovely ambience to the vocal performance that's not present within the orchestra which is placing the singer to the back of the stage. The harpsichord in this respect is almost jumping out of the speakers. I think if you could marry the performance together with some reverb choices you will be well on the way.

Anyway, as I said, well done for attempting this one, you have done quite well. I hope to have a go at these tracks myself one day if I ever get good enough. They are really good ear training exercises I believe.

Dave

Hearing your perspective Dave I agree with you.

Absolutely believe reverb work will fix this as well as some volume drop on the harpsichord.

Thanks for the great observation.
Wink