Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What Is This Thing Called Love Mix by Carol
Hello Everyone. First post and my first attempt ever at "mixing" other than tinkering around with my own music. The panning on the bass and the piano are from the Haas effect not physical panning.

Thanks to loweche6 aka Draper, I am all set up with Reaper and the links to some great online resources to help me get started.

Thanks for listening! I am looking forward to hearing any feedback so that I can learn as much as possible!

Carol

.mp3    Jesper Buhl Trio.mp3 --  (Download: 14.5 MB)

.mp3    Jesper Buhl Trio Limiter.mp3 --  (Download: 14.5 MB)

I lowered the kick and brought down some highs in the piano in the version with the Limiter.
Think this is a really nice mix, and if this is your first you should be really proud of it. My suggestions are only personal taste but...I'd consider narrowing the drums, actually quite like the bass and piano where you have them panning wise, sounds like a band on stage to me, but when the drummer changes cymbals to the one on the right, in front of the piano, it kinda skews the stereo image a little, and you could tame the ride cymbal in general, not easy as its in all the mics but it can be done, atm its the loudest thing in the mix. But the actual drum sound is great. Other problem for me is the lack of definition in the bass, has the bottom end but needs something on the top to give it some clarity, especially in the solo which, if I remember, has to come up in volume quite a lot, should be showcasing him but I can't really hear what he's doing. But that's all minor stuff, overall you've done a great job, easy to listen to.