Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
SergeiK mix
Hi everyone,
Here is my attempt to mix this song.

The most unpleasant thing for me in this mix was very harsh tone of the guitars, though, I like the transient rich nature of this tracks and it easier to get rid of excess of transients than to create them. The same thing is about the programmed drums, a lot of snare hits interfered with consonants of the lead vocal, automation of the drums helped a little bit here.
I have a lot of doubts about how it sounds because I mix in untreated room so it is difficult to judge objectively.

I appreciate any feedback.

.mp3    Leaf - Come Around (Sergei K mix).mp3 --  (Download: 5.77 MB)

Hi SergeiK,

on my monitors, the bass sticks out mightily! I played very briefly with a low shelf EQ on your mix, and -3 dB at 200 Hz already seems to help. I applied the same on the bass track and it made sense there as well. But my room isn't treated very much either.

I think the vocals trample on each others' feet a bit. My reflex would be to separate them either by panning or EQing. Then again, I never thought much about this type of music. But your mix makes a good starting point :-)

No complaints about the guitars, btw.

Marc
hi sergeik what i like is the "dry" drums and the tamburin sound if you add that reverb its nice (i didnt yet hear that track)
but you have to remember that the vocal come first it feels like its not.
it feels like the guitars and drums is the main, keep the voc on top. Smile
Lovely round bass sound you've got going here, and while it might be a little overblown in the grand scheme of things, it certainly helps to fill out this track. You've also gone for a generally smoother upper midrange compared with the preview mix, which is no bad thing (with hindsight this isn't one of my favourite Mix Rescue remixes sonically speaking). If I were going to pick holes at all, I maybe say that the snare feels a bit slender, and while this isn't necessarily a problem during the verses, it does come across as rather underwhelming during the choruses. I reckon I might look at layering in a new sample for the choruses if I approached this mix again. The kick could probably have a bit more oomph there too, somehow, and that would help the mix's long-term dynamics a bit as well.

Speaking of which, it's the long-term dynamics that are the trickiest element of this mix in my view, and although you've managed the verse-chorus transition pretty well, there are occasions where the mix feels like it's treading water a bit, and I can feel my easily-bored mind beginning to drift off into thoughts of what I'm going to have for lunch. Smile In this sense, I reckon you could probably afford to take more liberties with the arrangement to keep the listener engaged. That said, I do like the longer build-up of backing vocals during the middle section -- the way you pull out the top line at the centre during the second half of that really works for me, nicely judged.