Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Zwiepack - Summertime
Here's my mix. In other jazz songs I've been looking for a more contemporary sound, but not here. Any advice to improve the mix?

.mp3    Zwiepack - Summertime.mp3 --  (Download: 7.72 MB)

mixing since April 2013
Really nice mix! Love the tone of the saxophone and the bass. To me, something doesn't sound right with the kick, like it's gated and emphasized and the tail of the bleed is coming through. Not sure, it's hard for me to be critical as my monitoring as limiting in this area. Minor point though, very enjoyable mix. Cool
thank you for your comments. I will check on the kick. In this case, I've used both the original and a sample to add just a little bit in the 4khz area; and maybe that's what you're hearing.
mixing since April 2013
Overall sound very good. I like it. Espcially the dark sax. Very enjoyable. (Now I feel that I must darken my sax and drums a bit)

I think Dangerous is just right about the kick. It’s too loud to this genre. Now it destroys the smooth groove by adding regular bumbs to the road. Otherwise drums blend nicely with sax.

And then some nitpicking:
Great job with bass, but still I feel that it has something forced with it. As if it has eaten some steroids, not heavily but still some. Remeber that this song is a kind of duet of bass and sax, two acoustical instruments. So for this audience the bass should be as natural as possible, it’s almost a solo instrument in this case.

Bass could have a bit more of that air that’s audile in those normal mics. Now it feels that the bass and sax don’t have eye contact.

Also compression brings up the snoring sound of bass, for example 0:32, 0:43, 2:18 etc.

If you plan to tweak this, I would take the sax sound as a basis and then check that the bass supports that feeling/atmosphere.
I've decided to dump the kick sample because it was was adding that bump that was ruining the song.

I've also lowered the ammount of distortion on the bass to make it sound more natural and added a dynamic EQ to tame those frequencies that were sticking out too much in certain parts.

I've left the rest just the way it was. In my case the interaction between the sax and bass was meant to be like that. I was not picturing the typical duo playing together side by side on stage; but making the sax a little bit distant but at the same time, keeping its main role in the song. That's why they are like that.

.mp3    Zwiepack - Summertime(2).mp3 --  (Download: 7.72 MB)

mixing since April 2013
listening this time round with headphones and I'm much happier with the kick. Sounding nice.
Dave
thanks Dave!! Smile
mixing since April 2013
I like it!
much better without that kick sample
te iba a decir que quites el sample del kick, en estos casos y en este tipo de musica , siempre menos es mas, entendes??

cuanto menos lo toques y/o proceses es mejor para tu mezcla, yo solo filtre frecuencias que no me gustaban y hice una compresion paralela al bus de la bateria muy livianita y nada mas, no comprimi el bajo, y al saxo le saque unas frecuencias que a mi particularmente no me gustaban.

un abrazo

Sergio
muchas gracias, Sergio. Le puse el sample porque de alguna forma veía que se perdía un poco entre el bajo, pero es cierto que a veces pierdo la perspectiva y no en todos los géneros musicales vale lo que se puede hacer con otros. Pero bueno, al final quedó bien y eso es lo importante Smile
mixing since April 2013