Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hold on you Jamolir Mix
Hey Guys!

It's been a while since I logged in here. Hope all of you guys are well!

Here´s my mix!

Cheers,
M

Edit: I did some automation on this second version. Makes a huge difference. Do not under estimate the power of automation boys and girls! Smile

Edit 2: Did some further mixing, check it out!

.mp3    James May Hold on you Jamolir Mix.mp3 --  (Download: 7.88 MB)

.mp3    James May Hold on you Jamolir Mix Automation Pass 2.mp3 --  (Download: 7.88 MB)

.mp3    James May Hold on you Jamolir Mix Automation Pass 3.mp3 --  (Download: 7.88 MB)

It was a while I was here too so I second in on Jamolir, hope everything is well with everybody.

About your mix. I only listened to #2. I think it sounds very good. I would raise the vocals quite a bit. and, It´s something about the snare I don´t like but I think it´s more a performance thing than a mixing thing. Can´t put my finger on it.
I listened to all the mixes and I think Mix 2 has the most potential. The vocals are obviously way too low and thus become almost secondary in character which just doesn't work for a singer-songwriter type of thing like this song is. Having said that.. everything else is super nice! I really like the "dry" feel of all the instruments and how you've minimized annoying frequencies yet retained the original tonality of the tracks. Very well done!

Mix 3 is a bit odd. I see you tamed the overall bass frequencies quite a bit (which is a good thing) but combining this with the slightly "cold" plate like reverb of the vocals makes the overall cozy feel of Mix 2 disappear.. which is why I prefer it less. The vocal level here is much better though.

I'd say Mix 2 + vocal level boost (may need up to 2dB of boost) would give an almost perfect mix for mastering. I wouldn't worry too much about the overall amount of bass in Mix 2 because the instruments containing bass are all in very good balance so it's an easy task for the mastering engineer to simply tame this with a subtle low-shelf EQ without losing any of the natural feel of the mix.