Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Promises and Riffs
I really like the GTR solos, very well done.

This is an excellent song all around with the exception of a droning bass line throughout most of the song.

But what do I know.

.mp3    Jonny Locke Promises and Lies.mp3 --  (Download: 10.68 MB)

My Original Music

"One often learns more from ten days of agony than ten years of contentment."

Pro Tools 12.6/Studio One 3 Pro
Studiolive 16 Series III
Yamaha HS5/HS8
Console 1
I'll be brutually honest, your bass guitar during the verses sound like you stuck a mic in a beach ball then sat it on top of the bass amp Tongue

The rest of the mix feels pretty good and fairly evenly balanced. The bass is my only gripe Smile some sort of weird resonance to it that just doesn't sit quite right. Perhaps look at your compressor settings?

I'm no expert and I still need plenty of practice myself, but I thought I'd chip in my 2 pence.
(03-01-2016, 12:28 AM)tomtomtom1230 Wrote: I'll be brutually honest, your bass guitar during the verses sound like you stuck a mic in a beach ball then sat it on top of the bass amp Tongue

The rest of the mix feels pretty good and fairly evenly balanced. The bass is my only gripe Smile some sort of weird resonance to it that just doesn't sit quite right. Perhaps look at your compressor settings?

I'm no expert and I still need plenty of practice myself, but I thought I'd chip in my 2 pence.
Thanks for taking the time to listen to my mix. I like everything about it, including the bass and if I were to change anything it would be the to bring the bass vol. down maybe -2db and mid range of the solo guitar around 400-650 hz. -3db.

If want to be brutally honest, then be succinct and not provide some ill thought out
cheeky metaphor. Its not that I don't appreciate that style of humor, its that it was poorly executed. Frankly you lack imagination and are trying to overcompensate for it by using antiquated colloquial such as "pence". But Im no expert.....Undecided
My Original Music

Studiolive 16 Series III
Yamaha HS5/HS8
Console 1
The droning bass is kinda the point in this sort of music. Yeah, it's a bit of effort to process given the specific note chosen but it has to be there or you lose something from the song. It's kinda one of the central challenges here.
Old West Audio
(03-01-2016, 02:18 AM)azwayne Wrote: The droning bass is kinda the point in this sort of music. Yeah, it's a bit of effort to process given the specific note chosen but it has to be there or you lose something from the song. It's kinda one of the central challenges here.

I would say that the bass is essential but not the central themes in rock music and although Im not a fan of it however has not been neglected. The bass is there and no one wants to hear a prominent droning bass line, just ask Metallica AJFA. The bass gtr in this song is like cannon fodder, but that being said, I did make an effort to have it stand out a bit more in the main Gtr solo because it had a cool groove going on.

The central challenge is getting the vocals to sit well in the mix and deal with all of the artifacts of the lead singers delivery. I've listened to most of the mixes of this song including Mike's version and peoples interpretations vary drastically but only a few make the bass the main focal point. But it really depends on your ears and your auditioning template for how any of the mixes on this site are received.

My Original Music

Studiolive 16 Series III
Yamaha HS5/HS8
Console 1
Well, I meant as an anchor. It's kinda what holds the song together. So it has to be something you're conscious of but without it taking over.
Old West Audio
(04-01-2016, 02:37 AM)azwayne Wrote: Well, I meant as an anchor. It's kinda what holds the song together. So it has to be something you're conscious of but without it taking over.

Right on, I can dig it. Im going to do Johnny's other song and make the bass somewhat rounder than this song. So, we'll see what the music tells me to do.... That sounds a little wacky, haha.
My Original Music

Studiolive 16 Series III
Yamaha HS5/HS8
Console 1