Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Neon Hornet: Take it off Mix
Thanks to the band for posting these tracks to mix!

This was a interesting one to mix.I struggled with the different instruments
Bass,toms , kic etc... all of them had certain things i tried to adjust and fit in to how i heard the mix.Let me know what you think.

Thanks for the listen and if you have time please leave a comment.

P.S I will listen to others mix tomorrow my ears need a brake..

.mp3    Take it off.mp3 --  (Download: 11.86 MB)

It seems like a solid mix for the most part.. After the intro, the bass kinda disappears in that first verse and gets sucked under the kick, reappearing only in the chorus. Perhaps this is down to a master buss limiter or side-chained compressor? I can't tell.

My only other gripe is that the vocals lack a little sheen but that might be down to personal taste and that a little automation would do wonders for the track since it's very single tracked in terms of dynamics.

Seems like you've done pretty well though, I had trouble balancing the toms and bass especially through my headphones but you have made a really solid stab at it.
(02-01-2016, 03:34 PM)tomtomtom1230 Wrote: It seems like a solid mix for the most part.. After the intro, the bass kinda disappears in that first verse and gets sucked under the kick, reappearing only in the chorus. Perhaps this is down to a master buss limiter or side-chained compressor? I can't tell.

My only other gripe is that the vocals lack a little sheen but that might be down to personal taste and that a little automation would do wonders for the track since it's very single tracked in terms of dynamics.

Seems like you've done pretty well though, I had trouble balancing the toms and bass especially through my headphones but you have made a really solid stab at it.

Thanks for the listen. The bass and toms I just struggled with i tried everything i could think of to get them to work together, compression, limiting etc..I will have to go back and try something else.AS for the vocals I did want them a little dark I just couldn't decide, kept going back and forth on them the whole time.
I went for the same gritty bass sound in my first mix, I think it worked well, then for some reason I ditched it in my next 2 mixes.

I think you can get a little more out of the toms in terms of punch. Try compressing them a little more than you typically would. Your snare seems a little disconnected during the chorus for some reason.

I think you could do with clearing out some of the low mids from the main Vox to clear it up a touch. There actually seems to be a bit of a low mid build in your mix (listening on some over ear audio technica ew9's so not great for critical listening), so that could clear a decent amount of my issues up,

I know this may seem like I don't like the mix, I do. Your levels are quite good with each other, and your general tones are enjoyable, i just think there's a little bit of gook (not an Asian slander)*gughk?* that needs to be cleared out.

I think you're pretty damn close to making it really sing.

Thanks for sharing.

Draper
(08-01-2016, 01:10 AM)loweche6 Wrote: I went for the same gritty bass sound in my first mix, I think it worked well, then for some reason I ditched it in my next 2 mixes.

I think you can get a little more out of the toms in terms of punch. Try compressing them a little more than you typically would. Your snare seems a little disconnected during the chorus for some reason.

Yes i do like the grit also on the bass i think it adds to the song.I wish i could of tighten the bass sound up some more tho maybe next time.
The toms where lets just say it a bitch for me i tried everything there was something with the freq of them the bass and kic i just struggled with.AS for the snare sorry not hearing anthing not to say its not there ,but i cant hear it.

(08-01-2016, 01:10 AM)loweche6 Wrote: I think you could do with clearing out some of the low mids from the main Vox to clear it up a touch. There actually seems to be a bit of a low mid build in your mix (listening on some over ear audio technica ew9's so not great for critical listening), so that could clear a decent amount of my issues up,

I know this may seem like I don't like the mix, I do. Your levels are quite good with each other, and your general tones are enjoyable, i just think there's a little bit of gook (not an Asian slander)*gughk?* that needs to be cleared out.

Thanks for the listen i'll poke around a little with span and a eq to as you said get the gunk out some i like it ,Thanks Draper again for the listen!

Draper
[/quote]