Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Zwiepack - Summertime (m&f)
My hand at the new selection. This mix style is inspired by Getz and Gilberto and A Tribe Called Quest.

Source file for reference, right click and "Save File As"
(please use BitPerfect from the Mac App Store for iTunes for Mac for bit-to-bit intended playback).

.mp3    Sumertime XQR.mp3 --  (Download: 7.86 MB)

.m4a    Summertime XQR no mastering.m4a --  (Download: 3.29 MB)

M1 Pro MBP: is my Hattori Hanzo.
(31-12-2015, 08:24 AM)Digitaldruglord Wrote: My hand at the new selection. This mix style is inspired by Getz and Gilberto and A Tribe Called Quest.

(please use BitPerfect from the Mac App Store for iTunes for Mac for bit-to-bit intended playback).

-------------

Nice! I really liked your mastered version. I know it's kind of sacrilege to make Jazz "loud" but I like loud, no matter the genre. I tried to do that too with my mix as well. The louder the better.....especially after years of playing in rock bands with a few db of hearing loss....lol! The important thing is that the mixes aren't squashed so that there is no dynamics at all. But, that is NOT the case with your mix. There is plenty of dynamics even though pushed. Nice work!

Tom

Tom

tommymarcinek.com - Tommy Marcinek
(03-01-2016, 01:28 AM)tjmtruth Wrote:
(31-12-2015, 08:24 AM)Digitaldruglord Wrote: My hand at the new selection. This mix style is inspired by Getz and Gilberto and A Tribe Called Quest.

-------------

Nice! I really liked your mastered version. I know it's kind of sacrilege to make Jazz "loud" but I like loud, no matter the genre. I tried to do that too with my mix as well. The louder the better.....especially after years of playing in rock bands with a few db of hearing loss....lol! The important thing is that the mixes aren't squashed so that there is no dynamics at all. But, that is NOT the case with your mix. There is plenty of dynamics even though pushed. Nice work!

Tom

Tom

Thanks Tom, I was about to complement your posting of this as its a bit cleaner (just finished another mix and about to post). On this one I wanted to experiment with the digital analog emus and push a "classic" almost retro sound.. I am getting myself familiar with "todays" tools as I am getting back into mixing after a 10 year layoff due to a career in another space.

I didn't hit the maximization as I would on another tune because of the traditional ambiance of the Jazz genre (I listen to a few jazz SACDs so used these as references).
Nice bright clean mix, very enjoyable with headphones. The only thing maybe is the rimshot / cross stick could lose some of it's attack and be softened a bit, but I'm just being picky. Well Done.
Dave.
(03-01-2016, 12:00 PM)Dangerous Wrote: Nice bright clean mix, very enjoyable with headphones. The only thing maybe is the rimshot / cross stick could lose some of it's attack and be softened a bit, but I'm just being picky. Well Done.
Dave.

Thanks.. If in a client situation, I would most definitely offer a few variants on the stick sharpness to choose from..
Nice mix, I like it, but something is wrong with the bass. The bass sound dies out unnaturally. As if there's a too hungry gate that eats the natural sustain away from the bass.
(07-01-2016, 04:52 PM)Olli H Wrote: Nice mix, I like it, but something is wrong with the bass. The bass sound dies out unnaturally. As if there's a too hungry gate that eats the natural sustain away from the bass.

Thanks, I decided to cut highs in the bass which affected the audible sustained string treble of the bass pluck, to better clear the space for definition in the horn and drum in the mix. The full bass response from the notes are here, the treble from the pluck sustain is what you are noticing.