Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Neon Hornet mix critique
(08-01-2016, 10:36 AM)tomtomtom1230 Wrote: When referencing through the monitors, I felt like I had to try to make some instruments feel more 'forward'. Namely, I felt the drums needed to be right up in the listener's face to create a big impact with this song and to really drive the groove forward. Whilst the EQ didn't change all that drastically, I did change my compression settings (in particular the attack and release controls) by a substantial amount to create the aforementioned effect. This lead to the compressors allowing more of the transients through and as a result, a lot more of the high-mid to high frequencies. I upped the plate reverb for the snare and created new aux tracks specifically for use as a drum compression bus firstly and then a reverb channel to try to accomplish a roomy drum sound (which I feel as though I've done only partially, I'm really struggling with it).

Hey thanks for the info.It just goes to show how important getting the setting right.

(08-01-2016, 10:36 AM)tomtomtom1230 Wrote: Regarding the final guitar solo where I pan from left to right and back again; This song (to me at least) sounds very 'one-levelled', dynamically speaking. There's no drop for a bridge or the 2nd verse (which I have tried to artificially create by subtracting the lead riff) and there's no huge crescendo - even considering the end-of-track solo. I felt like a little extra automation might help keep the listener engaged with the song, though I appreciate it's not to everybody's taste Smile

Yes, i also was thinking of ways to work the arrangement some i just couldn't think how to do anything.AS you said "one level" so i do understand your thinking.