Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
my mix
Hello!

I'm new to this forum and also, new to mixing songs. I started three months ago so I still lack ear training and the knowledge about many of the terms you use. But I'm determined to learn and that's why I'm here.

By the way, my name's Juan. I'm from Spain and I'm 46 years old. I always liked music but never had a chance to get involved with it until now (thanks to this marvel called computers!)

I didn't want to post anything until I read "the mixing secrets" which I bought yesterday and I'll be getting it next week; but despite the many flaws I might have, there's something in my mix that has happened in other of my attempts at home and I was wondering if anybody could tell me what's going on.

What I'm talking about happens during the interval 2:30 and 2:40. The singer and the chorus stop singing and all of the sudden, I hear the rest of the instruments sound clearer.

Was it because the vocals were covering the same eq range than guitars?

thank you for your help and support!!

Juan

.mp3    Leaf - come around.mp3 --  (Download: 5.04 MB)

Hi it becomes clearer to you because the bass also drops out and that is a big problem in your mix.
The bass is very muddy so when it drops out everything else is clear.
If you put a filter on the bottom end at 50 hz a very small boost of around 1-2 db at 200 hz
and cut a little around the 7k i think you would hear right away what your problem is.
This is only a guide for you to try and also remember for your future mixes.
For me i filter bass at 50 hz most of the time.
Well done on the mix,keep it up
thank you, takka360! I will try that!!

You see? I do need more ear training... I never thought that the bass was the cause of this problem! Confused