Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Too Bright - DWM Mixdown & Master
Here is my go at the song "Too Bright". I was looking for a song that was different and this one definitely was. Love the indie guitars and then the gritty synth chorus.

ANyways, I took some liberties on this track, so forgive me if you don't like it.

- I took Drums 1 &2 and made them both mono tracks and panned them hard opposite, so in the softer parts, your hearing two drums panned hard, but then I made a Comp Buss and smashed them (independently stereo) and then made that mono, so its a bit more of a LCR drum part. I tried to smash the hell out of the 3rd drum part, without overbearing the mix. i like it.

The song is not nice and neat, so i tried to make the mix resemble that, lots of vocal effects, since the vocals were not tracked very cleanly either. But i think i like it better this way than any clean vocal take would have happened.

Anyways, none of my mixes have gotten any replies yet, so please post your thoughts!

.mp3    Too Bright.mp3 --  (Download: 8.38 MB)

Great job! Tad to much distortion on some vocal hits... Drums could benefit from some extra highs?
Hey man, I really like your mix. It's warm and the feeling of the song is definitely there. I like the sound of the vocals in the verse a lot. I would second what the guy above me saying about too much distortion on the shouts in the chorus--it's also a particularly nasty-sounding distortion, and the fact that it cuts out suddenly is noticeable.

Sounds like the drums in the verse are louder in the L ear than the right ear? Also agree that there could be more highs--they sound kinda "flat".

The music in the chorus sounds great. Maybe try some sidechain compression from the kick to the other tracks to give it a bit more "pump"? I tried it and it worked out really well for me.

I just posted my version of this; would love to hear your comments.