Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Maggie May
As others have pointed out, there’s a lot of spill on most of these tracks. However, the organ, re-recorded lead vocal and two backup vocals were overdubbed and have no spill at all. I took that as an indication the group wasn’t really trying to make a live recording. They probably just lacked a good recording environment.

I only checked phase on the overheads but found they go out of phase very consistently. The song is mainly 4 bars repeated (2 bars of A, 1 bar of E and 1 bar of D). The out-of-phase portion always happens in bar three, on the E. I thought guitar spill was causing the phase problem but didn’t try to fix it. Here are the main things I did:

Discarded the room mic. I thought it made things sound muddier.

The snare, kick and overheads seemed to have the worst signal-to-spill ratios so I tried to replace the kick and snare. With some pre and post-processing, kick replacement worked well. I couldn’t get the snare replacement to work well enough to use so I stuck with the original track. (Note I used Avid’s SoundReplacer, a very basic drum replacer.) I gated the toms and reversed the overheads left-for-right.

I noticed the re-recorded lead vocal had a much brighter sound than the original, possibly due to using a different microphone. Still, I chose to use the scratch vocal because there was so much of it on the overheads and other tracks. I tuned the scratch vocal lightly with Melodyne and also tuned the backup vocals.

I replaced the organ with DB-33. I like a B-3 sound for this kind of southern rock.

I mult’ed the guitars during the interlude so I could change panning and volume easier. I also edited Gtr3, the slide, to fill in a spot around 1:16 where he stopped playing for some reason.

I put low EQ cuts, compression and reverb on almost all tracks. The compression peaked at -3 to 5 dB of gain reduction. The reverb was fairly short at 1.1 seconds. I finished with a small amount of volume automation.

.mp3    MaggieMay.mp3 --  (Download: 3.91 MB)

You could turn down vocals just a little bit to give the singer a reason to yell.

Nice smooth sounding band, and the band has nice balance. But is the band now too nice and smooth, almost tired. Maybe the band is slightly bored with their singer.

Cheers, Olli
The snare is very low,the track sounds like it has no power,removing the room wont help that.