Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bannockburn
I used all the DI's and reamped with both peavey revalver4 and ezmix

SS/Izotope modules/Softube/ EWQL spaces/ lexicon mx400/ drumagog and ezdrummer

replaced kick and snare

.mp3    Bannockburn.mp3 --  (Download: 10.84 MB)

My Original Music

"One often learns more from ten days of agony than ten years of contentment."

Pro Tools 12.6/Studio One 3 Pro
Studiolive 16 Series III
Yamaha HS5/HS8
Console 1
Plz be constructive.
My Original Music

Studiolive 16 Series III
Yamaha HS5/HS8
Console 1
Hey man. These are just some things I reacted to when listening:

Guitars seemed to be where they should be. Maybe a bit brighter and wider, it seems kinda thin as far as stereo field, but overall they sound good.

Vocals are vocals. They sound just fine and sit on top nicely. Maybe some delay to fill them out, but not much.

I lost the kick in the bass. That bass is doing nothing but chugging so it's not... that important. I'd rather hear and feel the slap of the kick than the distortion and pick of the bass.

Snare sounds good, but again, it's lost in the muddy mid range of the vocals and guitars. Even the bass that's up there.

Overall this is a solid start with the individual tracks sounding good, but they need to be balanced and carved to make space for everything else. Think of your frequency band as a series of slots that only one instrument can fit in. That will help you create a wide and full sounding mix. Also, watch the end fade out. The noise comes back up from the compression then it just hard cuts off. It's the small details like that you can't miss.

Keep rocking man!
(09-01-2016, 07:17 PM)spanky Wrote: Hey man. These are just some things I reacted to when listening:

Guitars seemed to be where they should be. Maybe a bit brighter and wider, it seems kinda thin as far as stereo field, but overall they sound good.

Vocals are vocals. They sound just fine and sit on top nicely. Maybe some delay to fill them out, but not much.

I lost the kick in the bass. That bass is doing nothing but chugging so it's not... that important. I'd rather hear and feel the slap of the kick than the distortion and pick of the bass.

Snare sounds good, but again, it's lost in the muddy mid range of the vocals and guitars. Even the bass that's up there.

Overall this is a solid start with the individual tracks sounding good, but they need to be balanced and carved to make space for everything else. Think of your frequency band as a series of slots that only one instrument can fit in. That will help you create a wide and full sounding mix. Also, watch the end fade out. The noise comes back up from the compression then it just hard cuts off. It's the small details like that you can't miss.

Keep rocking man!
The KD is subdued because it does not sound good in this mix because everything is doing 16th notes most of the time. I wanted the vox to be dry and in your face, because in this style they normally are dry.

I do think the bass is loud in the mix and could stand for atenuation, but I chose to make it plucky and high mid range to stand out because everything is doing the same thing. The gtrs are bright enough, remember this isn't a melodic song and not a very well executed one at that, so higher pitched gtrs would become harsh and tiring.

I think, like most of the recordings on this site, this mix is a product of bargaining with what's good and bad and trying to find a middle ground.

I have yet to hear an outstanding mix of this song within reason.

All this being mentioned, Im happy enough with this mix to let it go and work on new material. I'd rather spend more time with mixes I like than not, after all Im not getting paid for my time.

I like your comments though and especially the compression tails, thanks for pointing that out, very helpful.

Cheers.
My Original Music

Studiolive 16 Series III
Yamaha HS5/HS8
Console 1
(10-01-2016, 12:31 PM)wesleyamltd Wrote:
(09-01-2016, 07:17 PM)spanky Wrote: Hey man. These are just some things I reacted to when listening:

Keep rocking man!
The KD is subdued because it does not sound good in this mix because everything is doing 16th notes most of the time. I wanted the vox to be dry and in your face, because in this style they normally are dry.

I do think the bass is loud in the mix and could stand for atenuation, but I chose to make it plucky and high mid range to stand out because everything is doing the same thing. The gtrs are bright enough, remember this isn't a melodic song and not a very well executed one at that, so higher pitched gtrs would become harsh and tiring.

I think, like most of the recordings on this site, this mix is a product of bargaining with what's good and bad and trying to find a middle ground.

I have yet to hear an outstanding mix of this song within reason.

All this being mentioned, Im happy enough with this mix to let it go and work on new material. I'd rather spend more time with mixes I like than not, after all Im not getting paid for my time.

I like your comments though and especially the compression tails, thanks for pointing that out, very helpful.

Cheers.

So, I'm sorry, why did I comment and give you feedback when you just refute everything I pointed out then said you're happy with it? What was the point? Don't answer that, I'm just stating what happened here so you can see how ridiculous it was.
Cheers.

[/quote]

So, I'm sorry, why did I comment and give you feedback when you just refute everything I pointed out then said you're happy with it? What was the point? Don't answer that, I'm just stating what happened here so you can see how ridiculous it was.

[/quote]
I think you are sorry that I didn't validate your comments and apply them to my mix or just say thank you by pointing out you keen ear for detail. Its obvious that I offended you in some way, but it was not intended to be offensive.

When I mix Im not stabbing at the dark looking for a fix or using "user presets" to find my way, but Im systematically and thoughtfully mixing and refining my abilities.

I responded in the manner I did to illustrate this approach.

My response was not ridiculous ,but instead an honest appraisal of my work. I have no idea how you listen to these mixes, with headphone (type/quality) or monitors (type/quality) I can only base your opinion on your mixes.

Lastly, "Don't answer that, I'm just stating what happened here so you can see how ridiculous it was." what are your expectation in regards to this commit?

The only reason Im writing now is because I bored and have nothing better to do than address this commit.

Im I supposed to feel guilt or remorse for poor social conduct?

Will your commit evoke a sense of awareness that will facilitate the change needed in my life to become a better person or at the very least more courteous or others efforts?

Whatever your intent Im sure it was of noble merit. Thank you for not being passive aggressive. (disregard last statement, we're both passive aggressive) Cheers.
My Original Music

Studiolive 16 Series III
Yamaha HS5/HS8
Console 1