Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sirens - AZ Mix
Okay, so I've been working on this one for a few days. Let me preface this by saying that this was an extremely challenging mix. The artist is creating a certain soundscape, a certain ambiance through their orchestration and that's key to the tune. Unfortunately for us as mixers, it results in all the wrong frequencies piling up and that makes it very hard to make things both distinct and yet get them all to blend. Biggest issues were 350-400Hz and 2kHz. It is also very necessary to try to give each instrument their own space but this is rather difficult as everything is in roughly the same range and boosting an alternate to try to make it through giving it a different character just tends to contribute to the cacophony you are trying to avoid.
There is a LOT of EQ on this mix and I struggled to find a good balance. In fact, I should have run the vocals through Melodyne but opted to just skip that altogether because I think tuning correctly would have only made them harder to bring out.

Anyway, after like 18+ hours over about 5 days, I'm calling this one a mix. Observations and opinions welcome, as always.

.mp3    sirens-mixdown.mp3 --  (Download: 15.63 MB)

Old West Audio
You know, after looking at Peddling Prince's version of this and his mention that it was actually a redeux, I'm pretty sure I missed the point of parts of this tune. Oh well. It was still interesting trying to figure out how to make everything come together.
Old West Audio